Ford Transit Cold Start Problem (I Think?)

I have a 2001 2.0 DI Ford Transit which when very cold will not start

Tha Battery is fine all the lights work but when the ignition is turne on it only clicks. It will click for ever if I keep turning the key This has only just started happening, once it has started it's fin until the cold gets to it.

Can any one offer any suggestions to get it started

-- Th3bozz

Reply to
Th3bozz

How do you know the battery is OK? Have you had it tested?

lights etc.. will still work for a while even if the battery is at it's end of life.

Reply to
pjlusenet

I had an earlier diesel transit, it had a starter motor relay on the side near the battery, it was mounted so that it could fill with water and of course failed. I removed it and just ran the feed straight from the ignition switch, it didn't give any problem in the next five or so years, it was stolen in the end and disappeared, probably nicked for the engine. So, if you have the same sort of relay, try bypassing it with a bit of power wire straight to the solenoid on the starter, if it goes then the relay is faulty, if no improvement you have eliminated that bit!

Mrcheerful,

Reply to
MrCheerful

Water getting into the starter solenoid is a known issue on these, and it gives the exact symptoms you describe (the water freezes over the main contacts) Later starter motors had a better sealed solenoid to prevent it happening.

Also check that the coolant hose above the starter motor isn't leaking down onto the starter (look for any orangy/green fluid/powder marks)

Reply to
moray