Ford Transit Electrical Niggle

A friend of mine has a 51 reg diesel Ford Transit which recently developed the following fault:

Interior lights are dead Electric mirrors are dead When the lights are turned on with the engine running, the buzzer that should kick in when you open the door with the lights on and the engine off kicks in - doesn't kick in when it should do, i.e: when the engine is off.

So... I reckon a relay has blown, but Ford refuse to supply info as to which relay it could be.

When you take the lid of the fusebox there's several relays in there, all identified by numbers rather than symbols, meaning it's pretty impossible in the wake of Ford being so unhelpful, to identify what each relay does.

I believe there are also some relays up under the dash.

Anyone got any idea which relay is causing this fault, or if indeed it's not down to a relay but something else?

I've checked all the obvious things like fuses, and they're fine.

TIA for any help received

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Any chance of it being an earth fault? Might be worth checking the various earthing points / connectors under the bonnet, tightening up, cleaning etc.

Reply to
leo

Have the lights got a timed delay on them? Only reason I can think of to use a relay since the current is so low. If so, it will be an 'odd' relay. Try unplugging each 'odd' one until the buzzer stops working. Only a guess, though.

The mirrors sound like a separate fault to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

By the sound of it, there's a battery live feed missing. Have you checked all the fuses? There's two fuse boxes. The battery junction box (one under the bonnet), and the central junction box (one under the panel on top of the dash above the glove box). From memory, I think the interior light fuse is in the central junction box. The interior lights have the standard three settings (off, door open, on). The door open setting is controlled by the security module. The on setting should work as a standard switch, but they may be powered through a battery saver relay (basically a relay that turns on whenever a door is opened, or ignition switched on, then remains on for a while - usually about 60min). If you remove one of the lamps in the cab, check to see if you're getting a 12v feed on one of the wires. If you're not, then there's a power supply issue. If there's a 12v feed, then check the earths.

Not sure about the electric mirrors, as it's very rare to see a transit with them, but will check the wiring diagrams at work later if I get time. I'm guessing you've not got a manual for the van? As the manual lists what the relays do.....

Reply to
moray