Ford Turbo Diesel Engine

What controls the Turbo on a Ford 1.8TD Diesel Engine (Endura)in a MkII Mondeo?

Reply to
Scott Bowers

Turbo wastegate actuated by boost operated actuator.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Ultimately, the driver.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Amount of exhaust gases going into it and a valve to prevent too much pressure.

Reply to
Conor

Given sufficient exhaust gases to spool up, the turbo is then self regulating by means of the wastegate.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks for the reply ..Gulp! ! ....Can you explain the various terms/items in layman`s language and give me an idea what they look like please?

I`m a recent convert to diesel(for economy reasons) and don`t understand it`s workings or language .....yet ! Cheers Scott

Reply to
Scott Bowers

The message from "Scott Bowers" contains these words:

As the turbo spins faster it pumps more air into the inlet. Now, the engine uses air largely according to engine revs, and sometimes the turbocharger may end up trying too hard - which is potentially bad for the engine. So, there's a small pipe leading from the inlet manifold which conveys that pressure to a piston working against a spring. Once a certainy pressure is reached the piston overcomes the spring pressure and is able to move, and this in turn moves a thing rather like an exhaust valve which connects the exhaust before the turbine to the exhaust after it - thus bypassing the turbine so reducing the pumping effort. It's not "either/or", there's a degree of proprtionality about it, the further you are over the maximum boost pressure the more the valve opens, etc.

Reply to
Guy King