Ford Zetec 1.25 engine management

Our '99 Fiesta Ghia 1.25 was running perfectly when we gave it to our daughter a few weeks ago. Now she says it's cutting out at low speeds (15-20mph) normally when she's in 2nd gear and turning a corner. It completely loses power and the ignition light comes on. It restarts immediately and is then fine for a day or so.

The local garage changed the idle control valve and spark plus but this has made no difference. I suspect it's either an electrical fault or a different engine sensor.

Does the engine management system on the Zetec 1.25 engine log faults, and if so would it be worth taking to a Ford dealer for EMS diagnostics?

Unfortnately she lives 300 miles away so I can't really check it out myself.

Reply to
LSR

In message , LSR writes

She hasn't noticed the speedo dropping to zero when driving along? On the Focus, the Vehicle Speed Sensor fails which drops the speedo to zero intermittently and causes the engine to stall.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

My 1.25 Fiesta Zetec Ghia (Build: June 1998) has a mechanical speedo. It does not depend on the VSS. When I was having idle problems I could drive quite happily without the VSS connected (it temporarily cured the idle problem) without any stalling so I doubt this is the problem.

The OP could try a new throttle position sensor? It sounds to me like something is going wrong with the over-run function that cuts the fuel flow when the car is over-running the engine?

Another thought - did the local garage reset the ECU after replacing the idle control valve? It can be done simply at home by disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes, but make sure you have the radio keycode first!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett