FREE CAR INSURANCE - would this work?

I have just realised that if you buy car insurance over the internet the small print says you can cancel within 14 days and get a full refund. Does this mean you could keep taking out policies with different companies every 2 weeks and canceling, so in effect getting free car insurance?

Reply to
Dave

Yes, probably. For about a couple of months.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

They use a central database to check you out; I would imagine if you pulled that stunt you would become uninsurable !!!

Reply to
Hirsty's

If you really read the samll print, after the small print, it says (sometimes) a full refund less the cost of cover for those 14 days ...

On the plus side you would have a certificate to get it taxed though ...

Steve

Reply to
Nat

Just imagine having to go through that process every 2 weeks! Once a year is more than enough for me.

Reply to
dave

I have stayed with the same insurance company for years. Probably due to laziness on my part. Once, just before my renewal was due, I got a few quotes from other companies and magically, when the renewal came through from my company it dropped to match the other quotes I had got. Can't remember the figures now but was significant.

Reply to
Periproct

I did this once whereby I needed to use a second vehicle for 10 days. I insured it with Elephant for 14 days and then cancelled. A week later I took out another policy with Elephant online and then kept it the entire year.

I wouldn't want to try and pull it maybe more than once or twice. Its good if you need insurance on a vehicle for a small amount of time (in my case, I had just purchased a second vehicle and was waiting 10 days before the insurance expired on my first vehicle, allowing me to use the NCB on car number two and then sell the first vehicle). By using the 'free' 14 days, I was able to drive my second vehicle for 10 days before I was able to take out a new policy - all nice and legal.

Reply to
T-5