Freelander rear door problem

Any one heard of this one. My mate's wife has a '99 Freelander diesel. Just recently the central locking has started "chattering" and to her horror, the rear door lowers its window fully, and the door swings open whilst in transit. The rear door should lower its glass by an inch when you are stationary and opening the rear door, not fly open while you are moving. My mate has disconnected the electrics and tied the door shut. He phoned Landrover who want a phenomenal amount of money to fix it. He reckons it's to do with some microswitch somewhere, the only hint Landrover gave him, but he can't find it in the rear door. Any one come across this problem before or know where the microswitch is, or experienced the same thing? I reckon this should be up to Landrover to fix as it's a safety issue. You don't expect any door to be able to swing open when you are on the move.

Reply to
Taz

try a google search for this problem and/or try to see if there are any freelander sites. HTH maybe buy a low level parachute and a Martin Baker ejector seat and wire it up to the door handle???

Reply to
MrJolly

Does it have the removable rear top by chance? There are (if I remember correctly) two microswitches located around where it clips in. If these aren't working (or the body isn't clipped on properly), they'll cause the rear window to open when driving along the road.

Although, given the other symptoms, it could be the door lock itself that's faulty. The door shouldn't open by itself as it is still a manual door handle. It's either that, or possibly something has come adrift in the rear door, and the window going down is catching one off the lock levers/rods

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

By that logic, I reckon BL should fix my brakes, after all, it's a safety issue...

Reply to
Stuffed

Ok Stuffed, go for them, if you can find them......

Reply to
Taz