Front disc brake smell?

Hi,

Got a 2001 Astra Coupe Turbo. The front drivers side brake smells like something burning, this is during normal light driving, none of the other discs smell at all. It gets stronger the more I drive it. I originally could smell it through the interior air vents, but have narrowed it down to this wheel.

What could it be? Should I drive it or wait until I get it looked at?

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

seized caliper or collapsed brake hose.

Reply to
Chris

Can't help with the brakes - but going to look at a 2.2 bertone tomorrow - how are they to live with?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

A great car I think. Much more reliable than previous Vauxhalls, fords and Citroens i;ve owned. Practical genuine 4 seater, large boot, good looking and cheap to service. One of the best things is the balance of handling and comfort - I think vauxhall have it right. I wanted a good quiet cruiser (like the rep mobiles) which could also handle well round the twisties. It's good. Cruise control is ace.

I've had it just over 2 years now, got a couple of rattles and squeaks (the front seats appear to be the main culprits).

I quite fancied an Impreza or Civic Type R when I bought it, but this was a better deal taking all costs into account, and felt as quick as the others with loads more torque than the Honda.. Got it 8 months old for £14.5k (no leather). Insurance is cheaper than rivals as the groups are quite low (turbo is Gp 15). Highly recommended. I've had a few problems as described a few weeks back in this newsgroup. As with all cars, it helps if you have a good dealer who know how to use their tools.

Reckon my next car might be the new astra 3 door when it appears....

Hope this helps,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cheers Chris, could this be expensive?

Reply to
Dave

Sounds cool - /thinking/ about getting rid of the Volvo for something with lower running costs - spent 600 quid on fuel last month, add that to 150 quid for a couple of tyres, 25 quid MOT, 950 quid insurance, 300 quid service and the fact I'll need disks/pads again soon (>500 quid if I buy originals..) it's just too dear to run - and I don't need the space any more. I had a 2.2 Vectra on fleet and used to get 40mpg on the motorway from that, would expect the astra to be no worse. So I'm looking at low mileage

2001/2002 Bertones 2.2 with leather and cruise as a starting point - prices are great - should be virtually a swap for the Volvo.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmm, volvo are supposed to be really good though, don't know how it will compare... only just found out recently that volvos were all either FWD or

4WD, thought they were RWD or 4WD (duh!)

A mate of mine has a vectra v6 SRi (T plate) and bought a full set of disks and pads (front and back) from Vx, genuine GM parts for £96! That was 2 weeks back, think they have a deal on at the moment at our local dealer. Reckon i'll buy a set as i've got 30k on the clock and still on originals. There looks to be a good 4-5mm on the front pads.

Servicing on mine from VX isn't too bad, 20,000 intervals although I always change oil more frequently. 1st and 3rd year servicing cost about £100, 2nd and 4th are about £130 from the dealer.

Reckon you'll be happy enough. The 2.2 is supposed to be very sweet, and guess you should get better economy than with the Vectra, particularly if it was the new model barge!

Good luck,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

FWD with stability and traction control - still quite good though - major on safety, comfort and cruising but I'm starting to wonder whether the fact it will cruise at 140mph was a good point when selecting the car.

Ach don't... Although the Volvo ones lasted me 50k on the front, and the rears have lasted 70k, the prices are horrendous. Just ordered EBC front pads, 30 quid including P&P, volvo pads are 70 quid, plus 50 quid fitting!

Heh - cheap service on mine is about 180, mid price is 360, belts would bring it to 590.

'Twas an old shape, and an auto! But I've driven the new Vectra and for me I think it's better than the mondeo and the passat.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Could kill you.

Reply to
Conor

Thank god it's not that then!

Got an oil leak from the turbo oil return pipe running on to the exhaust and it's burning.. Got the parts (£35) and going to fit it tomorrow with a mate (£70 labour from Vx). Reckon they damaged it actually when they replaced my exhaust manifold gasket! Tw*ts

Dave

Reply to
Dave