fuel consumption

hi my name is chirs collins i am doing my final year project on fuel Consumption for a car i need to know how much a car use in 1st gear,

2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 5th gear and 6th gear so if you could please help me it would be really greatfull and thankful for your help thanks chris collinis
Reply to
footyman56

Final year at nursery? Jesus! These poor kids can hardly write their own name, and they give them projects like this to do?

Reply to
telnet

footyman56 ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which car? Doing what with the car?

Reply to
Adrian

What uni is this?

Have a quick think about what factors may affect fuel consumption. I'll give you a bit of a clue to get you started - think of an Aston Martin and think of a Fiat Panda.

Once you've thought about the factors, I suggest you look again at your question and examine it for deficiencies. At the moment it's severely lacking of something.

David Hearn

The gear is irrelevant. Any car site will tell you the published fuel consumption figures for lots of cars, I suggest you look there.

For instance :

then select a car from the car by car breakdown section and look for the fuel consumption details.

I would also recommend some English lessons as your question layout is appalling.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "footyman56" contains these words:

If this is your final year project you really ought to spend the time learning how to punctuate, spell and conctruct sentences.

Also, if it's your final year project aren't you supposed to do some of that stuff - er - work, I think it's called.

Finally, learn to spell your own name before we go and tell your tutor that you're cheating.

Reply to
Guy King

"1.0 helene.salford.ac.uk:3128 (squid/2.5.STABLE4)" might give you some idea...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Made me smile anyway :)

Reply to
Matt

Surely internal frictional losses increase with engine speed? I'm willing to bet that doing 30mph in second gear will consume more fuel than doing it in fouth gear.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

depends on where the engine peak power output occurs, some cars would be well off the power band at 30 in top eg my old sierra xr4x4, it hates over third at thirty, likewise I'll bet my Ferrari would not be pleased at thirty in top either, even my old metro with the fourth top E gear was not recommended to use top till 40mph

So the use of the car/speed and the type would be useful info to know.

The question was so vague and badly written the whole exercise is pointless anyway.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It will use no fuel as long as the engine is not running.

HTH

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

That's surely just *another* relevant factor? It doesn't make the gear "irrelevant". If the queston is "how much does a car use in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc., it's a highly relevant point.

Well I guess there is some point to the exercise but we've probably not been told the whole question, which make all this discourse a bit pointless. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In message , mrcheerful . writes

It also depends on what is expected of the car. Best gear for fuel consumption under acceleration will be lower than best gear for fuel consumption at constant speed.

I'm gobsmacked that this is a final year project at what used to be a well regarded institution.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Just write your report in your natural writing style and it won't matter much how accurate your data is.

Reply to
Mark W

Here is the data you asked for:

1st gear: 0.9 litres. 2nd gear: 30mph 3rd gear: 50% 4th gear: 2500rpm 5th gear: (a) 6th gear: 20W/50
Reply to
Mark W

The problem here is that during the GCSE exams you are now allowed to take in the answers, so you only have to be able to copy. Certainly true of the English Literature exam, you take in the book with your own notes in the margin.

No it's called Research, which is generally allowable.

Reply to
Brian

Owww my sides hurt!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I do hope this is a joke! I'm fairly certain that in my undergrad degree the first lab i did was fuel consumption and the various factors that affect it. I suppose we could be dealing with an arts student though.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Final year at what, primary school?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

I really do despair for the future of this country.

Reply to
SimonJ