Fuel filter replacement interval?

Hello,

How often should you change a fuel filter? I have a C3 diesel and the Haynes book says to replace it after four years or 40,000 miles. I asked the dealer for a price last year and it was so expensive I did not buy one. An independent mechanic told me not to worry as he said it was not due yet, contradicting Haynes.

I was looking at brakes on the eurocar parts web site and thought I would look at filters at the same time. In their blurb they say the fuel filter should be changed every two years at the very least, preferably once a year.

Is this a ploy to get you to buy four times as many as necessary? How often should they be changed?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Does it not tell you the interval in the service information the vehicle was supplied with? (Hint; if you don't have this info, get it!)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You would have to fill up at some very dodgy places indeed to put enough muck in the filter to block it even partially during the life of the car. If you have some means of draining off a little fuel from it to remove any water I would do so and leave it at that.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I think that is the approach the mechanic at the garage was advising. To answer the other post, re the car's maintenance booklet, it doesn't make it obvious. Citroen have printed oil filter, pollen filter, air filter, ..., timing belt on every page and leave it for the garage to tick which they have done. I am sure the timing belt isn't changed annually ;) so I am sure that not everything printed has to be done each time. Perhaps I need to visit ebay for a TIS cd?

Curiously Haynes says to change the pollen filter more often than the air filter. I thought that would have been the other way around; after all the engine sucks air whenever it is on; the air conditioning/heating is only used occasionally?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

all heating and cooling air goes through the pollen filter

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No. The pollen filter constantly has air moving through it as long as the vehicle is moving.

Reply to
Conor