Fumes inside car

T3 Corolla is sucking engine fumes into the car like it's trying to end our lives. It's when the car is not moving and the heater fan is on. Even to the extent, that if there is no wind around outside and we are stopped at lights; we are turning the fan off whilst we are stationary.

The felt seal at the bottom of the steering column where it goes through the floor is disintegrated, but would that be enough to cause such a problem ?

Reply to
D Lawrence

I would start by identifying the oil or coolant leak, almost certainly oil is dripping onto the exhaust and then rising to surround the car when it is stationary, coolant leaks can also be very fumey. Exhaust fumes these days are hardly ever noticeable, even if you stand by the exhaust, but oil especially is very pungent even a few drops turned into smoke is enough to make your eyes sting. The other possibility I have come across in the past is leaking battery acid, but that is rare.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks. Had a good look round and cannot see any oil or coolent leaks. Someone suggested the pollen filter could be choked up and causing it. Is that a possibility?

Reply to
D Lawrence

I doubt it, but it should be replaced as a service item every two years or so.

Reply to
Mrcheerful