Fuse box jumper cable

My car has 3 12V power outlet sockets but somewhat annoyingly from my POV, the only one which is permanently live is the one in the boot which is no use to me.

All the sockets are individually fused and I had hoped to do a spot of rewiring to correct the situation. Unfortunately access to the wiring of the sockets in the front is very restircted (without an awful lot of work) so I thought I might be able to tackle the wiring behind the fusebox. This also is poorly accessible though so it's looking like the easiest way of making one of the front sockets permanently live is to run a fused jumper cable from the permanently live terminal of the appropriate fuse holder to the supply terminal in the fusebox of one of the other 12V sockets.

I could also use a "cross-over" jumper to convert the boot socket to switched live in exchange so to speak.

What I need is a small spade type teminal (matching the shape of one of the fuse blades) to do this. Does such a beast exist or do I need to butcher a couple of spare fuses to make up some cables? Ideally something that will fit in a normal fuse socket but allow attachements of flying leads is what I'm after.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
[...]

What type of fuses does it have?

Perhaps something like this:

might do?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You can get mini ones of these or look through these sites.

Rob

may be better

Reply to
Rob

Nah, none of those would work. I've sussed out that it's called a mini blade" fuse and a quick look on ebay has thrown up this possiblity.

Barring any better suggestions, I'll probably order a couple of these although it's not quite what I want as I think I'll end up not being able to re-supply the boot socket with a switched feed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oops. Dunno where that australian link came from.

Tim+

Dave Plowman (News)

Just thought I'd let you all know that I made up a little jumper lead using the above and it worked a treat.

The only hitch I had was that I didn't have any spare fuses so I didn't try initially to restore power to the boot power socket.

Everything seemed fine until I went out for a drive and discovered that the indicators weren't working. A seach of the owners manual didn't list the indicators being supplied by any fuse but it turns out that the boot power socket that I "de-energised" supplied power for the indicator relay. That was easily fixed thought with another fuse.

This might come in handy for anyone else wanting to make a cigarette lighter socket permanently live rather than ignition switched.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+