Gear Oil Change Advice Please

Please could I have some advice on whether or not to change my gearbox oil ? My car is Avensis 2002 1.8 vvti manual 106 000 on clock I don't think it has been changed before and ever topped up ...... Thought it might improve gear changing which has become a bit stiff recently . Somebody told me that this oil should last the life of car

-------- not sure about that ! Thanks for any help

Reply to
andy

andy gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Might be worth checking joints on the gear linkage - they could well be corroding and seizing if they've never been lubricated.

It's almost certainly not in the service schedule, and is quite likely to be treated by Toyota as "sealed-for-life". Trouble is, as a strategy that often defines the life...

Reply to
Adrian

Which is why I changed the oil in my Mondeo gearbox this year at 120,000 miles. Ford fitted filler and drain plugs to a filled for life box which kind of tells me that at some point it should be changed.

Reply to
Conor

surely that is so that you can drain the box when you need to get the drive shafts out and to refill it after. If all is well the gearox oil 'can' outlast the car (in theory)

Reply to
Mrcheerful