Gear Oil Change Advice Please

Hi All,

I'm no mechanic but with the help of a Haynes Manual I've managed to service most things on my Hyundai X2 '93, now I'm thinking about changing the gear oil. The car has done 77,000 and as far as I know it's never been changed before, it's manual transmission.

The manual says I need Hyperoid 75w/80 GL4 oil, I've seen a Redline oil that says it's 75w/90 GL4, it might sound like a daft question but would this be an ok replacement? I've tried asking the shop but they won't say either way encase I blame them if it isn't.

Also, would you recommend using Redline or should I use a different brand?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge and many thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Thanks

Adam

Reply to
Adam

I'd bung in Castrol EP80 Gear Oil and I'm sure it will trundle along just fine.

Reply to
gazzafield

Adam ( snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

More or less the same stuff.

75W90 is a little thicker when cold than 75W80, but it shouldn't be the end of the world. You *might* notice the change being a bit stiffer on cold mornings.

Hypoid's not a brand name, it refers to the type of gears inside the box, and their specific lubrication needs. GL-4 is a hypoid oil spec.

Reply to
Adrian

cant see a problem with that. And Redline is a top quality US brand so no worries there either.

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Spec is near enough I would think. Does the book recommend changing the gear oil? Many boxes don't even have a drain plug nowadays. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Redline is a very good brand, favoured by those who race or do trackdays, or spend their time doing "dubious" speeds round the back lanes. But most know brands like Castrol or even Halfords or Carlube should do something in the rating you need.

Not putting down your car at all, but redline might be a little overkill, unless you rally it, almost any half well known brand in the correct viscosity/GL rating would be fine if you plan to continue with a decent service schedule for the transmission, along with the engine.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar