Gearbox

Recently I test drove a front wheel drive car that seemed OK apart from the fact that when in 3rd gear, the gear stick moved back about an inch when I blipped the gas pedal. Did not seem to happen in other gears though. Another stranger thing was that there was some sideways rocking when blipping the gas whilst stationary in neutral. The car is Alfa 156 with 45000 miles on a

51 plate. Anyone without any preconceived veiws on Alfas think it's a lemon ? The money seemed right if this behaviour is not a problem. The Doc
Reply to
Dr Wu

Ours doesn't do that. Neither does the Marea which has pretty much the same floorpan and gearbox.

Reply to
SteveH

Dr Wu ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sounds like a buggered engine mount.

Reply to
Adrian

Yep check the gearbox mounts as well. Is it a petrol?

Reply to
Depresion

Reply to
Dr Wu

Engine mounts on TDi engines tend to be softer and allow more movement of the engine and gear box than on a petrol. Now learn how to post to newsgroups correctly.

Reply to
Depresion