Gearbox oil

How do I change the gearbox oil on my Peugeot 106 diesel?

Or is the gearbox sealed.

I did the engine oil recently, so now I thought I do the gearbox.

TIA

Reply to
Hiram

Read the service book for details on when or if it needs changing? Like I hope you did about changing the engine oil?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oddly, I don't have a service book. Which is why I ask.

Don't you just love the way people answer a question with a question?

Reply to
Hiram

Pardon?

Reply to
Tony

There's probably a drain plug at the bottom, and a filling/level plug on the side somewhere reasonably accessible. Look for a big hexagon.

To try to be more helpful than some of the other posters, gear oils (and for that matter, gearboxes) last a very long time these days. Like 50k miles or more for the oil? T'wor different when I wuz a lad....

Reply to
newshound

Then get one.

I'm trying to prompt you into servicing your car correctly. And there's rather more to that than just changing the fluids in some of the bits you know about. At random intervals.

Basically, the engineers who made your car know far more about what needs servicing and when than anyone here. So best to find out what they recommend.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could try asking here: -- alt.autos.peugeot -- or even here: --

Cash

Reply to
Cash

two square drive plugs on the side of the box, one empties, one is the fill level.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Why, what have you done?

Reply to
Hiram

OK, that is a fair point. But in the case of my 10 year old 106 - for which bought second-hand, and consequently have no idea when it was last serviced, I took the view that changing the oil was a good idea.

The car cost me 300 quid, and has 140k on the clock. I will keep it for the year and get another one. I am happy to change the oil, but I don't think buying a service book is worthwhile.

Reply to
Hiram

Cheers MrC

At last a sensible answer...

Reply to
Hiram

You are probably the only person I've heard of who changes his gearbox oil! It seems to me it lasts for ever.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

140k on the clock and I don't know when it was last done.
Reply to
Hiram

FWIW, if I were working blind on a car with unknown history, I'd change the brake fluid and coolant before the gearbox oil. Many are lifetime fill these days - although I'd certainly check the level. A Haynes manual should give the service procedure and a secondhand one from Ebay should only cost a few pounds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Renault 6 speed manuals tend to go bang in a very expensive manner if you don't change the gearbox oil every 60k or so. I've lost count of the number of dead Vivaro gearboxes I've seen that could have been saved by changing the oil sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Pete M

Wonder what fails in the oil - or why just those boxes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I changed my "filled for life" Mk3 Mondeo gearbox oil about a month ago. Figured that at 118000 miles, it probably wasn't in the best condition. Glad I did. Changes gear a lot smoother now.

Reply to
Conor

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That'll be why I heard one coming from about 200yds away t'other day...

Reply to
Adrian

I wouldn't even worry about it...just check the level and if a drop runs out it's fine...

Reply to
john

To be honest - this is what I will do.

Reply to