Gearbox oil

I've a ZX with a noisy gearbox due to the oil level being run low in the past (not by me!)

When the weather is very cold it runs silently with a smooth gear change, when the weather warms up the noise returns. The noise is present in all gears, and is a constant low pitched rumble/whine with a growl as the clutch takes up drive.

The recommended oil is 75/80 which Halfrauds describe as Diff oil. Will changing to a thicker oil give me an improvement (without ruining the smooth gear change) until we change the car later this year? If so, what grade oil could I go to?

I also asked the panel their views on Molyslip in the past, and got no comments. Anyone got one now? (on Molyslip or similar that is!)

I'd stopped worrying about it until after the MOT, but she passed it without comment yesterday, and I feel I ought to at least attempt a cheap fix before sourcing a cheap box/waiting for death!

Thanks.

Reply to
Doctor D

In top as well? Final drive bearing probably. Should last for years. The old remedy was to put heavy oil in- and there was some pretty much treacle like gunge about years ago. To get a sale, the more unscrupuluous could silence a noisy gearbox by topping up with sawdust or bits of nylon stocking. I'd put a heavier gear oil in, it's all good stuff nowadays and shouldn't cause any harm. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, there in top too, but obviously harder to hear. Very noisy on overrun when holding back. Is 90W oil likely to help, or do I need to go even thicker?

Reply to
Doctor D

I really don't know. Try it and see. DaveK.

Reply to
davek