Gearbox oil level

Hi all,

Just to be sure..... I'm a software engineer thus diligence and paranoia are part of my job requirements :)

I unscrewed the oil level checker plug on the front of the gearbox (yes I'm sure I got the right one) and was rewarded with a strong trickle of escaping gear oil. 5-10ml escaped before I got the plug back in. As I read the Haynes book the level when the car is level (which it was) is supposed to be 5-10mm below the bottom of the filler hole. I just want to ask whether the Haynes book is wrong (which I doubt as it makes sense) and whether I should let the excess oil I apparently have drain out?

As my oil level seems OK, what are the other likely causes of sometimes having difficulty getting it into first when the car is cold? Sometimes I have to raise & depress the clutch before trying again a few times.

2000 W reg Fiesta Zetec.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

the level won't affect it, incorrect oil type can cause this, as can a sticking clutch, to get round it just put it into first before starting the car (with the clutch down.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Won't be the oil type as it's been in there since new.... could be the clutch I guess but it doesn't creep forwards on level ground with the clutch all the way down in first gear. One thing I have noted recently (and TBH I can't recall whether it's always been like it) is that with the car in neutral and the engine idling there is an additional sound from up front that goes away the instant the clutch is depressed. Sounds like something is turning that's not balanced right and is more noticeable inside the car than if I stick my head out the window.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

[...]

With the clutch engaged the gearbox layshaft will be getting driven round by the engine so you will get a slightly different noise if you're listening out for it. If the noise is more noticeable inside the car it's probably just that some bit of interior trim or similar is happening to resonate with that slightly different vibration. If this were a brand-new S-Class then I would refuse to accept it until it had gone gone back to the factory to have every last grommet bunged with mastic putty, but it's a 2000 Fiesta, it's going to rattle a bit here and there.

If you can't remember whether it's always been like that it can't be that bad.

Reply to
Ben C

The noise could be gearbox input shaft or thrust race. Many cars make a slight noise as you describe. Replacing the clutch and thrust race on one of those is not a cheap, quick job, and the noise might still be there, however it would probably cure the gear selection issue.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That is perfectly normal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yup. you'll get noiser without creep if the clutch spigot bearings sticky though. It's one of those "If it ain't worth changing the clutch it ain't worth being worried about" issue though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood