Gearbox Reconditioning

I've just picked up 2 used 'boxes for my 75, and plan to have one reconditioned before it's put in the car.... don't fancy taking a chance on just sticking one in, as there's a risk it will be as bad as the one I've already got.

AFAIK, the weaknesses in this box are synchro rings and differential bearings.

Any idea how much I'm likely to have to shell out for this work to be done? - or is it something that isn't too hard to do at home? (Never touched a 'box before)

A recommendation for somewhere to take it within reasonable distance of Cardiff would be handy, too.

Cheers,

Reply to
SteveH
["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cars.classic.] SteveH was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

AFAIR the repair bill for the overhaul of my 3l's box was in the order of 300-400 quid, and that was a couple of years back.

As to doing it yourself - check the BoL if it mentions the use of hydraulic presses somewhere in the gearbox overhaul section, that might be a clue...

Actually I wouldn't do it myself, but that's got more to do with the hassle factor than the complexity of the job. The question is more like - are you confident that you can do a job that'll last a reasonable amount of time/miles compared to a pro job for a lot less?

Reply to
Timo Geusch