Getting a copy of an MOT cert

My daughter has misplaced her MOT certificate and for whatever reason, the DVLA don't have the details so she does need it for road tax renewal. Would it be possible to get a copy from the garage that did the MOT or will she end up having to pay for a new test?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Any MoT garage can issue a replacement MoT, no matter where the original was issued.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

VOSA, not DVLA.

The paper certificate is just a receipt these days - and says as much on it. It's the computer record which is the master.

If she puts the V5C number into

she can see exactly what the score is.

Reply to
Adrian

Um, if that's the case, why doesn't the DVLA have it on record?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

probably because the car has not got an MoT

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well that's always possible but I'm sure it came with one. ;-). Do *all* MOT testers have links to the database?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Think the details have to be on the 'computer' these days. There is no such things as an MOT certificate now. The bit of paper you get is simply a print out of the details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As mentioned earlier, it's the VOSA which keeps this info, the DVLA goes to it to check if a vehicle is listed as ok, as can you.

Reply to
Davey

Well, yeah, but in that case why doesn't the DVLA site say "Your car has no valid MOT!" (or words to that effect)? The implication of the wording on the DVLA site is that there are valid reasons why your MOT certificate might not be available on line. This leads me to think, possibly incorrectly, that not all MOT testers are linked into the system yet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They are all interlinked to the central database. In your case it would be worth first doing an online mot check at:

Mrcheerful

the only valid reasons are when the system has broken, but that would only delay the info for a few days

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Given how long it's been running, I doubt it.

Sadly, what is likely is someone just made up the MOT 'certificate' you think you've misplaced. Was it checked at any time before now?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

All test stations are online, but test data may not update in real time, for example if the testing station has temporary internet connection problems.

If your car passed the test, you drove home and checked, and was told "Your car has no valid MOT!" it would cause some consternation!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Every single MOT tester went computerised about ten years ago. The only way that I can think of in which one wouldn't be on the system is if the tester's computer was down, they used a paper back-up, and haven't got round to putting it in yet.

Reply to
Adrian

VOSA, not DVLA.

Here we go...

Reply to
Adrian

I have checked after getting back from a test and it is already showing the new details. There have been occasions when the system has broken, particularly when it was new . But that only delays things by a few days at worst.

However, the ease with which a fake bit of paper can be printed means that a buyer could be easily and cheaply duped, might even work for getting a tax disk at the post office, I cannot remember buying a tax at the PO since computerisation came in, so they may check it online, but probably they just look at the paper version.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They do indeed check MOT & insurance online now.

Reply to
Adrian

I've already asked my daughter to check on that site. Fingers crossed it's there but if not I guess she'll just have to get it re-tested. Thanks to all for the info.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I did tax one car at the local PO recently, and they didn't look at the MOT or insurance certificate. My guess is they too do most of it online - saves having to enter details later. All they actually do is write out the disc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well the good news is that the VOSA records revealed that it DOES have a valid MOT. It's just that it expires before the tax is due. Shame that the DVLA site couldn't have told us this. Would have saved us a lot of stress.

Thanks again to all.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+