Getting into a T reg fiesta

Don't beleive it - just bought a cracking fiesta for my mrs - did all the usual checks, in and out, lovely car, drove it home, stopping for petrol on the way, lovely drive.

Locked it up, went inside - came back out - can't open it - phoned the guy and he said - "ah yes, key is a bit worn, need jiggling for door and boot, common prob on these age cars"

Still can't get it open.

I know the key works the ignition smoothly started it about 4 times in all. I know the key open petrol cap without probs. I can operate the internal handle on the pass side - can see it move, but outside handle won't open it - think this the handle link.

Drivers door turn about a quarter, makes some clunky noises but won't operate internal handle or open. Boot wiggles a little but won't open.

Tried wd40 and lots of wiggling - no good.

Key looks worn..

Options? Get a new key from Ford - is it likely to be key or lock internals ferked? Special wiggle/thump technique?

If I could get in, I can then dismantle the locks and see - any special tips? (take out wing mirrors and pokey stick or something?).

Cheers

Reply to
Paul

In message , Paul writes

Yes but more importantly......... does the bonnet open........ cos you'll need that for your MOT ;)

Seriously though, it sounds like the door lock. If it were the key then it would play up in the ignition, fuel filler and boot. You could end up buying a complete set of locks.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Nice man from the AA and used an interesting array of wires and wedges , managed to wind down the window.

On quick look it seems that although key is worn - Pass door - connection to exterior handle missing/broke Drivers door - key is actually turming in barrel, will lock the door but connection to opening link missing/broke - so key ok-ish

Still can't open boot - been years since I had a Ford - is it key only open? there's no button or flap to pull? Any easy way of opening from inside boot?

I know the bonnet opens, I had a look to check corrosion of suspension areas, leaks and battery not about to fall on to road. And to round it up neatly - I can now take it for its MOT tommorrow - assuming locks arn't some element of the MOT ;-) (I just know someone is going to say 'condition of spare tyre' )

Reply to
Paul

the locks are worn, they are about 25 quid each and you build them to match your key, preferably get the supplier to put them together for you as they are tricky, the locks are different each side. the tailgate lock barrel is no longer available as a kit you have to get a barrel with keys. it is possible to get a complete set of all the locks with new keys as a nice alternative.

there is no need to check the spare tyre which is underneath in any case, but the boot has to be opened to check the condition of the inner wheel arches which often rot on fiestas.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Paul writes

Nope, not necessarily the case, ISTR that any Ford key will lock any Ford that uses the same profile but, hopefully obviously, only the intended key can open it.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Lol, failed only on two brake pipes, excellent.

Reply to
Paul