getting oil stains out

ok, so most of us will have done this at one point or another but oil stains and clothes don't mix is there any sure fire way of removing them from delicate clothing?

the mrs has spilt a drop on herself (like the bumbling eejit she is whenever she decides she's going to "help" me with something :) )and is now kicking herself over the little droplet of clean oil she's spilt on her dress

now, to keep her away from the messy stuff I've told her I'm going to drop some oil on her everytime she tries to "help" me again by being useful around the garage (women tend to tidy things up and not bother about practical things like you being able to find anything every again) but this is going to end up in tears and tantrums

so

any way to get the little bitty oil stain out or is she forever doomed to wear an oily dress?

Reply to
dojj

my wife doesnt even let me do any oil related autowork in our garage!!

give us her email. i will buy her a new dress.

Reply to
beerismygas

Rub in Swafega until stain clears, rinse and wash as normal.

(I understand that Swafega was originally developed to clean ladies stockings.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Stain Devils make a product for every type of stain. In the meantime flood it from the back of the fabric with nail varnish remover. (She'll have some of that). Use loads and do this before it dries, swabbing with lots of kitchen roll. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I wouldn't use Swarfega again - I have nice green stained clothes from doing so!

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

WD40 can shift stuff surprisingly, I've seen one guy use it on a carpet in the hospital. Quite whether it would suit a dress though I wouldn't lie to say. White spirit would be my other solvent of choice.

Reply to
Malc

If it is clean oil from a new can then it should clean like any other oil or fat stain. A resonably strong detergent applied neat, unscented washing-up liquid is ideal and then straight in the machine on it's usual wash load will sort it. If it's a dry clean only then just send it off for drycleaning tomorrow.

If it's used oil then you are usually stuffed. The black stuff is very fine elemental carbon and it's almost impossible to shift it as you cannot bleach it and have to chemically react it away - and anything good enough to shift carbon will also shift the fibres it's supported on.

Reply to
Chris Street

If it's an acetate dress then you'll definitely remove the stain. However you won't improve the situation.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Depends how good looking his wife is really...

Swings and roundabouts

Reply to
akd

right it was clean but I'm not sure if she splashed the clean stuff on or the dirty stuff it was only a small droplet, but it spread out to about the size of a cd so she's well pissed I told her to stay away but she didn't listen

after a bit of thought we've put some aftershave on it and the colour has not faded but the stain has lightened it's a fairly rich red dress with gold patterns on it but the colour hasn't faded yet I said to whack it directly into the washing machine but she'd only just got it sewn up

silly bint, but at least she cares eh :)

Reply to
dojj

If there is no trace of black gunk then dry cleaning will sort it easily.

Reply to
Chris Street

Depends what it's made of. If it will stand it, put it over some towelling or other absorbent stuff, squirt a little clean petrol onto it, and play a jet of air from an air line onto it, which flushes the petrol and oily contamination through. Repeat as needed. A nice fine jet is best. Don't smoke, etc.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

no black gunk, I think it's where she's lent over and the cloth has touched the cap of the oil can

Reply to
dojj

Then it's no real difference from a cooking oil or butter stain and will come out just as easy.

Reply to
Chris Street