Getting rid of the nicotine smell

Hi,

I bought a Renault Scenic from Auction and it smells heavy of nicotine as if the previous owner was a heavy pipe smoker.

How could you get rid of the nicotine smell please?

I hope in summer, it would disappear by the heat but still any remedy please?

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Wash all the hard plastic with washing up liguid and water - about the same concentration as you'd use for dishes. And do the windows and surrounds. Keep the cloth only damp and rinse frequently. Clean the seats with upholstery cleaner, and Hoover all the carpets and headlining. Take out seat squabs etc if you can and Hoover under them. Inside the glove boxes etc as well. Smoke can get to every part of the car, so the more you get to the more you'll get rid of it.

Water with a drop of detergent (washing up liquid) will remove the tar coating just about as well as anything from hard surfaces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In news:lZvrc.563$%g7.129@newsfe2-win, Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Take up smoking, you'll never notice.

Reply to
Pete M

The worst by a mile are those who've stopped. Prigs, most of them. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from Dave Plowman contains these words:

ME!

Reply to
Guy King

Febreeze, multiple applications.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I plan on restarting once I'm old enough for it not to make any difference

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

In news:v4Crc.1722$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Malc decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'm already old enough (33), after all, who needs the days at the END of your life? "The Incontinence Years" If I croak in a car crash (highly likely in my current collection of vehicles), then all that time not smoking will be wasted :-P

Reply to
Pete M

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.maintenance...

A couple of small containers of bicarbonate of soda, with either some mesh over the top, or small holes in the lid will help absorb the airborn smell, alongside the advice that has been given by others in here for the actual cleaning. Might take a while though.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I'd add that a drop of vinegar in the washing up liquid does the trick even better, especially at lifting nicotine off surfaces. Leaves the glass wonderfully clean too. Only downside is the car smells like a chipshop for a couple of days, but it's better than smelling like a pub carpet the morning after.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Get some chicken fillets and leave one under each front seat, one in the boot and maybe one in the glove box.

Alternatively use fish instead of chicken.

Either way the nasty nicotine smell will be masked completely after a while.

Reply to
Mark W

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What if you die in a car crash caused by dropping a lit ciggy into your lap at speed? Hmmm? Hmmm?

Reply to
Adrian

Hi Dave,

Thanks.