Getting sparks to the spark plugs

I think I'm getting closer to solving my problem (one of my problems). I took a look at my ignition leads and they were close in places, so I separated as much as possible. This cured my pinking and my car felt Italian. It was amazing how fast it was. I think that my car's probably only been capable of about 20bph, instead of the full 39bhp. When my car doesn't pink it's really fun, but it's started again :-(.

It's not bad, but the leads can't get further away from each other, the performance has gone and it sounds like it's got a bananna stuck up it's exhaust again. I hadn't heard this noise since I replaced my plugs and leads about 2-3 weeks ago (200-300miles). My plugs and leads can't be ruined after this short distance/amount of time can they? Is it possible for my car to ruin leads/plugs really quickly (assuming all standard components)?

The misfiring noise has never gone though. However, there is a sensor (I think) in the air intake with wires which were touching the ignition leads. It has two wires going into the air intake tube, which goes into the top of the engine (I haven't really had a close look). Do you know what this sensor is? I'm thinking that maybe the sparks have jumped into it and killed it :-(

I suspect that the sparks maybe jumping to other things (such as the engine block) rather than other HT leads now. I'm gonna have a look at night to see where the sparks are going. I think I'm going to get some performance leads though, these leads are almost completely useless!

Reply to
Peter

Is this a wind-up?

Reply to
DocDelete

Yes, probably.

Reply to
Dan

The message from "DocDelete" contains these words:

The overall view is tending towards the trolly not wally end of the spectrum

Reply to
Guy King

...and how about this bit:

???

Reply to
scott

The message from "scott" contains these words:

Actually - that's about the first bit of sense he's talked. I had trouble with a Maestro not running properly some years ago and it was only as night fell along with my hair that I could see the blue glow from along two of the leads.

Reply to
Guy King

No it's not! This really is happening!

Reply to
Peter

On which planet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

After a long damp windy MGP week on the dockside at Heysham my Bluebird was reluctant to start so we towed it until it was running on

1 or 2. Popped the bonnet and my mate got out. My mate reported "there were sparks everywhere" so he zapped one with a can of WD40! Lit up like the gas flare on Morecambe bay gas platform. His face was a picture of startled horror.

Peter Hill

New leads?

Reply to
scott

LOL!

I can imagine :-)

Reply to
scott

With my previous leads and plugs the sparks were going along ALL of the leads and there were rings of sparks around the sparkplugs, going to the engine! If it looks the same tonight then I think I'll order some Magnecor leads. I just had a look and tried moving the leads (with a wooden stick!) with the engine running, but it didn't make any difference. I think the plugs may be dead :-( If they are then this is going to be expensive.

The misfiring is a lot louder now, but it's not as frequent under load (ie. it almost stopped when my cooling fan came on). The car's really gutless though. The misfiring sounds like somebody's covering up the end of the exhaust for about half a second and then releasing it. The noise is probably identical to that and it happens about once every second.

Reply to
Peter

This is happening and it's causing me a lot of grief. It's not funny!

Reply to
Peter

Why?

You do realise that if you hadn't bought an underpowered shopping trolley in the first place you wouldn't be having nearly as many problems, don't you?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I don't think anyone's actually laughing or thinking this is funny Peter, but you're coming out with some strange shit my man. And even now you seem reluctant to throw this car at a competent recommended mechanic to sort it out?

Top tip: car ownership costs money.

Another top tip: there's no need to buy really expensive spark plug leads - just get some decent ones that actually work. You're not tuning the engine to the limit where each fraction of a bhp helps, you just need the car to work on spec, as it left the factory - Fiat certainly didn't fit Magnecor leads. You didn't buy some of these DIY plug lead kits did you?

Reply to
DocDelete

The message from "scott" contains these words:

Fixed it at once.

Reply to
Guy King

It's going to be expensive because the plugs are brand new. I can't aford new plugs every few weeks (it's been less than a month). My leads are also the same age as my plugs.

You're probably right. They are very nice cars when they work though.

Reply to
Peter

Yeah, just remind us why you wanted to buy something relatively new with low mileage? Reliability? ROFL.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But why would you replace plugs unless they're worn out?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Coil?

Reply to