Glowplugs not coming on

I have a 2002 Fiesta TDCi 1.4 and since buying it several weeks ago, the glow plug light has never come on.

I have entered the diagnostic mode and the glowplug bulb lights up along with all the other bulbs, so I presume the bulb is fine.

As the temp is dropping, I am concerned that I may be damaging the engine if the lights *should* be coming on but I am not waiting the required length of time. I usually wait about 10 seconds before starting up.

Should the glowlamp lights be coming on every time I start the car in this weather?

Reply to
Dalesgate

You have a latest gen direct injection engine- it doesnt need any pre-glowing- well not any that you should be aware of. The weather is too warm. The ECU will light the lamp when the temperature drops some more and you should pause for abit of glowing.

Actually the ecu is more than likely giving it some post-glow (plugs are powered for a short time after engine start) to improve cold idle and emissions, but you'd never know unless you actually metered the power rail and found some volts there...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The spec on the Peugeot 2 litre HDI says that it will start down to 0 C without any need for glow plugs. Since this TDCi 1.4 is in fact a Peugeot / Citroen 1.4 HDI I would expect it to be similar.

If the light works but doesn't come on it's probably because the plugs aren't needed rather than them not working. If the engine starts easilly and idles smoothly straight away then it's unlikely that the plugs are not coming on when they are needed.

-- James

Reply to
James