Golf Deisel 1.9 TDI - Kits for a). improve power from 130BHP to 150BHP b). cruise control(??)

Hi

I just bought a Golf Deisel 130BHP (1.9 GTI/TDI), but due to time pressure it wasnt QUITE the model I intended! So I am toying with some upgrades:

a) 130 BHP => 150 BHP? I understand it's possible to get a kit to improve power to 150BHP.

- How well does this work in practice?

- Are there any unwanted side-effects? (e.g. does it make the thing guzzle fuel?)

- Is the pickup any better at revs below c.2000RPM?

b) Add Cruise control? Is there any way to give it cruise control? (mine is just a basic model)

- Any idea on costs?

c) When you drive it hard, it's rather noisy. It there a better *quieter* exhaust?

Btw, is the 6th gear worth using? I find on the motorway it's almost dangerous to have so little acceleration basically below about 2000 RPM the engine h as *seriously* little torque. I also wonder if the engine doesnt object to being "laboured"... and maybe it would be happier in 5th gear - and possibly give just as good economy/engine wear etc

- Any thoughts?

With thanks

Ship Shiperton Henethe

Reply to
ship

P.S. It was a 2003 Golf - can anyone tell me what Mark that makes it?!

cheers,

Ship Shipert> Hi

Reply to
ship

Sure is.

Does exactly what it says on the tin, but use a recognised place (Jabba, Rica, Revo etc).

Not really, I suspect in theory higher boost is higher wear, but in practice we're not talking much.

It uses more when you thrash it.

Probably worse, they tend to make things more peaky - but that might be bollocks.

Dervman is the man for this.

Heh, it's a diesel.

Reply to
Iridium

"ship" wrote in news:1168277043.664728.132230 @s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

upgrades:

If you want the extra performance, you obviously intend to make use of it or it would be a complete waste of money. So yes, you will use more fuel. Acceleration burns fuel. The harder you accelerate, the more fuel you burn. OTOH, if you spend most of you're time cruising, I doubt you'll notice any impact on your mpg.

Conrad Anderson does aftermarket kits. Dervman had one fitted to his Ka. Theres a site on the web.

Assuming you still have the original one on, I doubt it. Manufacturers tend to try and engineer them to be as quiet as possible with no significant compromise on performance.

I think the idea is to give you closer ratios and therefore more flexibility, but I don't know - it may just be like a 5 speed with an extra high gear for high speeds. I suggest that you use the gear the car is most comfortable with.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

As long as you keep the engine above 1800rpm, where the torque all happens, you are fine. Both VW / Audi TDI engine I have had were like that.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Chip it to 170bhp (159.17 at the wheels) (I recomend JBS with there Custom Code)

Very well. ;)

MPG is about the same to better unless you thrash it. Only bad side effects come from the extra insurance.

Not a lot but it realy pulls from about 1750. (Peak torque is flat from about

1750-2750 bhp starts to tale off after 4250 droping below 150bhp at the wheels around 4500)

Yes but it's not going to be a cheap thing and I doubt you would use it much.

Reply to
Depresion

I think it's fairly simple, as it's a drive-by-wire (often referred to as 'fly-by-wire') throttle system, probably looking at £150-200, but don't quote me on that.

It's probably just general diesel noise/injector noise tbh - not something a quieter exhaust would sort out.

6th gear is worth it for higher speeds, or if you know you're not going to need to accelerate (i.e. pootling along at a constant x mph), but generally the best (and most enjoyable) way to drive is to generally keep it just above 2000rpm so the power/torque will always be there. Try it for a week, and you'll probably notice no detriment to the fuel economy - it'll possibly even improve it.

As for the general lack of anything below 2000rpm - welcome to the world of turbocharged cars. In general, the higher the outright power, the more revs you need before anything happens. If you had a 90bhp 1.9TDI you'd find it'd be a lot more lively lower down - my 1.9TDI-90 Seat Ibiza would pull happily from about 1200rpm in top gear. Obviously you lose out higher up the rev range - pays your money, takes your choice as they say. If you want it better, get an engine that does it better, or something with a great autobox like the latest 7-speed Merc ones. Or get something like a twin sequential turbo BMW (535d or similar) or a V8 petrol somethingorother, with LPG for the affordability factor. It's all compromises.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm quite surprised at the noise remark as I was at a RR day right at the end of the year and the 1.9TDIs were considerably quieter than the 1.8Ts with comparable bhp both being run in 4th at about 100mph.

Reply to
Depresion

Once again check out the MKIV.net forum for info on 'chipping', cruise control (there's a walk through for aftermarket fitting of this) and just about anything else for your MK IV Golf.

AndyR Ex VR6 now Bora PD150

Reply to
AndyR

Pretty well if it's a good one. I once read that the 130 was less peaky than the 150, but having never driven a PD150, I can't really comment

It depends. If you cane it, yes, if you don't, probably not.

Why? The 130PD is OK below 2krpm, unless it's broke. It should start to pull quite well as low as 1200, and come properly on song at 1900 as the turbo spools up.

Yes.

No, sorry, ask on

You can buy the oem parts, install them, and get it enabled in the ECU by someone who knows how and has VAG-COM. Plenty of Skoda owners have done this with the same parts, so I'd imagine the Golf has been done too.

First google result for 'golf cruise control', and it's a PD130:

Come on, it's a diesel. They *are* noisy, and much as I like the VAG TDI, quiet it isn't, even compared to some other turbodiesels.

You probably need to adjust your driving, lose some revs, and use the torque. Unless the exhaust is knackered, very little of the noise will be from there. There'll be a bit of induction roar, a little turbo whistle, and a whole bucketful of clatter and combustion noise from the engine. Revving it hard just makes it smoke more, make more noise, and waste fuel.

It must be broke, or you're using sixth gear *far* too slow. Are you driving on the motorway at 50? Do you know that your car is performing as intended? You could have a buggered MAF for example, which makes things flat all round.

At average motorway speeds my Fabia, with the same PD130 and six speed box will pull like a train in sixth: there is no need to change down for motorway inclines or to pick up speed again. Unless traffic slows a lot, I'll stay in sixth even in typical rush-hour motorway traffic. OK, the Fabia is lighter than a Golf IV (I guess), but not that much. There is less torque than at 2000 rpm, yes, but more than a lot of petrol cars. The main drawback of a modern turbodiesel is how it all falls away much over 4000 rpm. Were you driving some huge V8 or a good turbo'd petrol car before?

I also wonder if the engine doesnt

Depends what you mean. Dragging it along at tickover isn't good, but it's useful as low as 1200 with care.

and maybe it would be happier

If you are driving slowly, yes.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In practice sixth is a little higher than 5th on a 5-speed one, but it's not the 5 speed box with sixth being on top of that- 5th is lower than

5th on a 5 speed. Of course, they vary ratios during the car's production, but that's my experience.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

Odd, I had one of those and I don't think the PD130 in my Fabia is any worse low down, or the 110BHP in my A3.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Now that does surprise me. Like I said, the VAG TDi isn't a quiet lump....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

A rule that doesn't apply to any VAG TDI in good running order.

I don't think you would actually.

My money is on his MAF playing up.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Definitely get the Mass Air Flow meter checked out - sounds like that's failed tbh.

--------------

I didn't like to say anything as I haven't driven one myself, but from what I remember when I went out with a mate in a borrowed one it went like a train in all gears. I don't remember there ever being a lack of urgency in top. I'd definately get it check out as JackH says.

Besides, I dont see how having little accleration in 6th is dangerous. My Volvo doesn't acclerate at all in 5th on the motorway (well it does, just). Can't say I've ever thought of this as dangerous. Just underpowered.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've been in a Golf 115 - pulled like a train from sod all/.

Went in a Fabia vRS which is essentially the 130 running gear in a slightly lighter shell, and it pulled like a train from bugger all like every other VAG TDI I've ever been in.

At least it won't be a dear fix if it is that... and with these it invariably is just the MAF. :-)

Only if you're too blind to know when you're going to need to change down. ;-)

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Have a look at the videos on some of the sites like Awesome.

1.8T:
1.9Tdi
the majority of the noise comes from the extractor and cooling fans.

Both are running stock Seat exhausts.

Reply to
Depresion

They are only making about 25bhp at 1200rpm that's quadrupled by 1900rpm.

Reply to
Depresion

Now being a perfectly normal car geek I was just in the bath thinking gear ratios. I was under the impression the 130PD golf had exactly the same box as me where as the 150 Golf and A3 sports had different 6th gears.

I know I get 16mph (Satnav) per 500rpm in 6th gear (is that a sad thing to know about your car?)

So 2000rpm is only 64mph and 1750rpm where the power is rising most rapidly is 56mph.

Reply to
Depresion

cheap thing and I doubt you would use it much.

I used to think that, but it's more useful than I thought, especially when taking it easy on long motorway runs, or navigating quiet but camera-infested roads.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp