Golf Mk2 MOT Failure:-(

Well, as it's last MOT ran out 18 months ago, I wasn't really surprised :-)

Failed on : Number plate lights N/S CV gaiter insecure (it's the wrong one) - is this a pig of a job to remove the brake etc to get at the gaiter? Binding N/S front brake Missing brake backplate N/S/R Headlight aim washers

1 tyre Corroded and blowing exhaust (this'll be fixed in 10 mins with the MIG!)

Now, I know what all those are, and can fix them myself with not too much trouble.

Car has also failed on: "O/S Front lower link rear bush deteriorated resulting in excess wheel movement" - what is a "lower link" is he referring to the rear wishbone bush? "Both O/S rear flexible hoses have corroded clamps and corroded metal pipe between hoses" - are there separate clamps, or are they part of the pipe. I've not come across seperate before. Am I wrong to think I can get 2 flexi-hoses and a short piece of pipe made up and just replace the lot, or do I buy the clamps separately? GSF's website has no pics, and it's dark outside...

Is it worth repairing? I got the car for £50, the body's solid, paintwork OK.The interior is good with no rips in the seats and it's very clean. I've spent £60 or so on it already. It'd make a nice summer toy. Parts from GSF work out at £55 delivered, presuming I guessed right at the lower link bush thing.

All help/ideas appreciated..

Cheers MIke

Reply to
Mike P

It's a D-reg MKII GTi 8V...

Reply to
Mike P

At a guess that'd be a drop link - a short bar with a balljoint on each end (with rubber boots just like track rod ends) that links the anti-roll bar to......erm..........can't remember exactly - think it's some sort of mounting point on the front shock absorber assembly. Actually srcrub that - as it describes a rear bush I'm guessing it'll be what's sometimes known as a tie-bar bush. Piece of piss to change the bushes. If you read a Haynes manual it'll only tell you how to remove the tie bar and renew the bushes that way. Don't do that as it's potentially a pain in the arse as you can guarantee the bolts holding it in (I think there were around 3 bolts in a triangle, or it might have been riveted on my old Mk3 Escort) will be completely seized up.

As you can see, my memory is pretty sketchy, but it was quite simple to do - it basically invovled undoing the lower suspension arm pivot bolt, maybe a couple of other little bits, and also the the nut at the end of the tie-bar, then the lower arm should be moving freely and you should be able to pull the tie bar out, and the bushes and washers etc., will all fall out, then replace with new ones. Bingo.

I'd say so, especially as you mentioned it's an 8v GTi!!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

How the hell can you have a missing backplate? what are the cylinders/shoes etc fixed to?

Reply to
shazzbat

cylinders/shoes

It's rear discs. Doesn't appear to be anything attached to the backplate. More a shield to protect the discs /calipers from flying shit..

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Doh!! I knew that. I allowed my mind to be boggled there for a minute. Don't tell anyone, all right? :~))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

If you reckon it wont need any major parts then yes fix it & punt it as=20 the end of the summer with a few months road tax on it .

--=20

failures - sometimes given away free to collect

Reply to
SOR