Golf Mk4 TDI ABS warning light staying on

Hi all,

My 02 TDI Golf's ABS warning light is staying on, and a look in my books essentially said to take it to a VW dealer. I gather that it reverts to the normal braking system when this happens. I just wondered if it might be a dirty connection somewhere where cleaning the connectors might put things right, or anything else easy I could try?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and predictions of wallet damage. :)

Cheers.

Reply to
Angus

Most likely is a wheel sensor or connector fault. If you, or someone you know, has basic electrical skills and a multimeter, Googling will help you find out how to test them.

I would imagine the warning light will stay on even after the fault is fixed, and this will need resetting with someone with the right equipment.

Non-OEM sensors will be in the 25-45 quid range; you might be able to find someone to reset the light for 40 quid, so under 100 quid if you put some effort in!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ntly. Or try some VW groups for someone with vcds to diagnose it almost insta

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It is important point for diagnosis - to know whether the light comes on when you turn the ignition on then goes off and comes back on when you are moving, or whether it comes on with the ignition and remains on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yep. VCDS will tell you what is wrong, and clear the fault when fixed. As Chris W said, it's probably a wheel sensor or a connector for one.

Most of the VAG forums will have a list of people who will do the diags for free or nearly free.

Reply to
Chris Bartram