Golf Mk4 TDI headlight bulb

Hi all,

A work colleague told me tonight one of my Golf Mk4's headlights was out tonight. Its not the sidelight, or full beam, its the main beam, if that's the right expression. Anybody know if there's a special lamp I need, or all the Golf main beam ones the same. I'd look at the bulb in question, but I remember it being a bit of a challenge getting to the pesky thing - still, its on the drivers side so maybe it'll be easier without the battery in the way.

Reply to
Angus

you probably mean the dipped beam lamp, afaik it uses an H7 bulb, you can look up your exact model at autobulbsdirect.co.uk it is a useful resource

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They're supposedly a bitch to change. Official procedure is remove bumper :-O.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I ripped up my hands changing it. When it blew again some years later I paid a few pounds for the halfords bod to do it while thinking rather you than me lol. Then it went again on the other side. Only option was to take the bumper off which only took 10 minutes.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

That's the one - thanks very much for the info, guys.

Reply to
Angus

Update It sorted now, touch wood. I've put a run down of the job below, in case its of any help to anyone.

Two points - I'm not good at this stuff, and respect the people that are

- and just to be clear, this refers to the dipped headlamp Mk4 Golf (H7).

A while back I changed the passenger side bulb, from behind (engine side) and managed without much difficulty. Without the battery to worry about, I thought doing the same on the driver's side would be much easier. Not so. In case anybody is interested I put my description of the passenger side job below, but here are a couple of points that could possibly aid somebody (as rubbish as I am) attempting the driver's side.

Once you have access to the back of the bulb (headlight back cover and the 2 cable terminal removed) you have to contend with a clip that holds the bulb (lamp) in place. Its hinged at the bottom, but you can only partially see the top, by getting your head low over the engine. I spent a lot of time straining my fingers flexing this up and down with no effect. What worked was I got a short flat bladed screwdriver underneath the top part of the clip, levered it upwards, and then moved it to the side - not towards the passenger side as somebody said (maybe a different version) but towards the driver's side. So driver's side dipped headlight clip towards driver's side. This unclipped it pretty easily, carefully put the bulb in the right way up, without touching the glass - and boy, does the clip do up more easily than it undoes! :)

Front lights I changed the passenger side headlight (dipped). Not too awful, but a bit fiddly. You can lift off the battery cover, I managed to break one of the 2 side clips, this gives you better access the front light cluster. There are 2 phillips screws on the top, then you can lift off the outer cover.

Underneath this there is a slightly fiddly plastic cover held on by a retaining clip which can be pulled to the side. BTW, there's further cover of sorts on top of the battery, and if you slide it back, it is hinged and you can lift it up for a bit of extra wrist room. At this point, make sure you are targetting the correct bulb. I had interpreted the Haynes photo wrongly, but the dipped headlight is the outer bulb. Pull off the connector, and move it gently out of the way, now there's a retaining clip holding the bulb in, it is hinged at the bottom, with a loop (sort of) at the top, which you can get a finger under. You won't be able to see this unless you have hinged, extendable eye sockets or have removed the battery itself. Much wiggling later, this suddenly and gently lifted free, and I was able to carefully remove the bulb. Check the spec of the replacement against the old one, and carefully replace, wothout touching the glass. Its actually helpful to bend down and look through the headlight glass to see if the pesky little rascal is going in straight. Okay, now reverse the previous steps, checking its working after you have pushed the connector back on, I mean you wouldn't want to put it all back together and find...... yeah. That's it, it took me about 40 minutes, but I've never been confused with Speedy Gonzalez. On finding that the bulb I'd put in was dodgy and didn't last the day. I

put in another, and it took 15 minutes total, and that wasn't hurrying.

Reply to
Angus

Looks as if you had that easy.

Check out this light bulb replacement on a tower.

?token=07b_1284580365%26embed=1

Reply to
Rob