Goodyear NCT5 tyres and wheel spin

Hi,

I recently fitted a pair of Goodyear NCT5 tryes to the front of my Nissan Primera GT (2 litre) and now find I get wheel spin on dry roads if I'm a bit heavy on the throttle and quick with the clutch. This doesn't fill me with confidence re grip during driving and braking. I don't remember getting wheel spin with my old (well worn) Pirelli P6000s. Yet the reviews I read of tests of these tyres rated the NCT5 equal to or better than the P6000. Anyone else get wheel spin with these tyres?

Regards,

John Smith.

Reply to
John Smith

The problem I've found over the years, is that a tyre that is excellent on one vehicle may be s**te on another...

FWIW I had 205/60 14 NCTs on a 2l Sierra, they did give more rear wheel spin than the (POS!) Continentals that were on it when I got it, but the overal handling was better. Not that Sierras handle that well ;)

Currently have 205/60 15 Firehawks on a 1.8 Mondeo and can't get it to spin on a dry road, but that doesn't proove anything ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

How recently?

Apparently tyres have some sort of coating, left on during manufacturing, which makes them not as good as you'd like for a couple of hundred miles.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Yes. Never again. If you want a good all round tyre you have to pay good money - Mich Primacy, Conti Premium Contact - both will give good grip and long life and are worth the price. NCT 5 do the long life bit only, converseley Toyo T1-S only do the grip bit.

I'm going to premium contact all round - 18k miles so far on the Zafira with them.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's dependent on the car, IME.

The 33s would only work well on Pirellis, whereas the 155 is equally happy on Goodyears. Dunlops work well on the front of the 75, but were useless on the rear. Work that out.

Reply to
SteveH

I would certainly go along with that, so would hesitate to recommend any particular tyre for a car I was not familiar with. I would certainly suggest a choice from one of the premium manufacturers. Lesser known makes may be just as suitable, but IMO you're less likely to be dissapointed if you stick to well known makes.

On my Rover SD1 Vitesse, I've had Dunlops,Michelin and the Goodyear NCT's on it at present. All fitted 4 at a time. The Goodyears have been significantly better than the others, for grip and braking performance. My Celica GT4 turbo has Bridgestone SO2's all round. I haven't tried any others, but I'd certainly reccommend NCT's for an SD1 Vitesse and SO2's for a Celica GT4. So far I've no complaints about the Conti Sports all round on my 525i, so unless I hear of something that might be better, I'll probably simply replace them with the same when the time comes. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Even the manufacturer's blurb for the NCT5 emphasises economy and long life....

"The newly developed silica-based tread compound reduces the amount of energy to make the tire roll. This allows a reduction in fuel consumption of up to 5% versus its predecessor, resulting in a significant reduction in CO2 emissions. Furthermore, the Eagle NCT 5 lasts up to 25% longer, giving you more kilometres for your money"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

. The important factor for me is grip. Performance under cornering and braking in the wet and dry. How long they last comes fairly low in my list of desirable features.

AFAIA. the best grip and longevity are incompatible. An improvement in one area usually means a compromises in another. Of course as technology improves, stds rise in all areas, but I think the above still remains true. The aim should be to find a tyre that gives a compromise that suits you, be it longevity, grip, noise, whatever. Even looks if that floats your boat. Not forgetting that they should also suit the car as well. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G