gradually diminishing coolant level

Hi all,

I've had a '94 1800 Golf CL petrol for a few months and I'm very happy with it, but I've noticed that the coolant level is gradually depleting.

I wouldn't have thought much of it, but I gather they should lose virtually no coolant at all, and mine is now virtually below the resevoir level in after 4 months.

I took the car to the local dealer around Christmas and mentioned that I thought the leak was from around the "coolant switch housing". This was replaced, but I'm obviously still losing some, and it looks like it maybe from that other "box" immediately below the coolant switch housing (next to the distributor). Any idea what that is called?

I do quite a bit of mileage in the car, and my plan is for it to last me a few years hopefully, so what would be advisable? Take it back and ask the dealer to have another go, or am I worrying about nothing and should I just top it once a week? I don't think I'm so comfortable with that approach and would sooner get it fixed.

Cheers for any thoughts.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Slap it in the vise boy!

Ted Rubberford

-------------------------- The Man With The Rubber Gusset

Reply to
Ted Rubberford

Top it up before it breaks.

Reply to
Malc

depleting.

Not many people like it btu if it were me I'd put a tablespoon or two of radweld or similar in and see if that helps. It shouldn't be a problem but it could be a sign that the water pump is on it's way out.

Reply to
adder1969

On 04-Apr-05 20:26:43, Malc said

Hi again......

I took it to the VW dealer and after some analysis they replaced a raw plug - but it is still leaking.

It is going back next week for tow days(!), and I have no problem with the garage, but I would like to forearm myself with knowlege if possible.

I topped it up yesterday (it was below the minimum level on the reservoir) and when I got back from work tonight, the engine hot and the fan on for a few seconds after reversing into the garage, I noticed coolant dripping from the side of the reservoir. This is on the side next to the left shock absorber, and the coolant seems to be coming from behind a black plastic thing with a illustration to indicate reading the manual, and "G11" is also written there.

Is that normal and just indicates I may have slightly overfilled it last night or something more sinister?

Any other thoughts would be very gratefully recieved.

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

has the seal on the cap been damaged

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

On 05-May-05 18:47:34, Angus McCoatup said

It appears to be okay - and no sign of leakage from there.

I've obviously been watching it carefully in recent days, and was a bit surprised to see that after even a 20 mile trip with only light traffic, after I parked, the fan came on, and there was a fair amount of dripping from what I think is the overflow device on the resevoir.

This is with the correct amount of coolant in at the journey's start. The engine area "felt" pretty hot to me, but the temp indicator shows halfway.

I'm probably clutching at straws here, but I mention these details in case they suggest anything to you guys.

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

message

If it come from the overflow then its over presurising or the cap is faulty. Then again it could be over pressurising because of poor circulation, which doesn't usualy over heat on a roads but when it hits the mway at speed it boils up. That points to the usual VW waterpump impellor detaching from the shaft, pumping just enough at low speed but not enough at high speed.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

ah those nasty plastic impellers....

i seriously doubt the Wermacht would have beaten the french/BEF and reached the limits of moscow if they had plastic impellers in their vehicles.

Reply to
beerismygas

On 08-May-05 17:49:30, beerismygas said

I believe at the time of the battle of France the majority of German armour was actually Czech, so think Skoda. :)