Grande Punto - Quick Question!!

Hi

I have just purchased a new Grande Punto having sold the 2.0ltr diesel as I just wasn't doing any mileage to justify it's ownership. I have had the Punto 2 days now and in the old Citroen at about 2500 revs I was doing a bit over 70mph. In this new Fiat, I am doing 3000rpm at about 57mph. Is this normal, as it seems high?

Many Thanks!

Reply to
Mart

Sounds right for a petrol version.

Is it petrol or diesel? - and what are we comparing it to?

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 8v 1.4 petrol with auto gearbox

Reply to
Mart

I have a 2000 Reg Punto, 1.2l 8v 5 gear manual. At 70mph in 5th gear it runs at just over 3000rpm if I remember correctly. I was looking recently as I saw a web page which stated that in general for optimum running you should try and keep between 1500-3000rpm. Naturally this will depend upon the engine etc.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Sounds absolutely spot on.

Reply to
DervMan

Thanks to Tim, Dervman & SteveH for your replies.....

Can I ask though, Service interval is 18'000, I was looking at max of about

6'000 miles (Thats all I do per year). With increased engine revs is there a decrease in engine longevity? This car has to last at least 5 - 10 years (Unless we win lottery), hence buying new. (Missus wont be able to pass her test unless it's an auto/5 star ncap assures me of her safety and all round reliability). I want to get maximum life out of a Fiat!!. Bar regular oil changes what else should I be doing? Considering we have a immaculate 15yr old Panda with 30'000 miles in the garage, I'd like to know what the previous owner did - that's if he was still alive!!!. It's for sale in Shropshire if anyone is interested. :) Tax'd, MoT'd etc........
Reply to
Mart

No. That's what it's designed to do. Service it to the letter, though.

I'm not sure how it being an Italian automatic with good benchmark safety means it'll be reliable.

Don't use it for short trips. Always warm it up every time you use it.

Reply to
DervMan