Grey/black tyre pressure monitors

Where can I get a set of tyre pressure monitors that fit in place of the tyre's dustcap.

A central plunger shows the pressure against its housing like this:

However that example is coloured and too attractive to thieves.

Also ISTR some of these devices which had an outer which could be set at different heights by screwing it in or out. By contrast the monitors in that link are for a fixed pressure.

Reply to
Andy

Are you a cripple and unable to bend down and read a tyre pressure gauge I wonder?

Ken

I don't have answers to your questions. However, it's entirely apposite to draw your attention to their shortcomings, one of which is accuracy.

"Typically these things are very coarse in their readings. A "yellow" signal might not appear until you're 4psi down, and it might not show red until you're as much as 8psi down. Even 1psi can be a problem so 4psi or 8psi is dangerously underinflated."

Please read "The low-tech approach", under "TPMS - Tyre (Tire) Pressure Monitor Systems", at the very end of this article:

Lin Chung

Am I missing something with these things? Presumably in order to measure pressure at the dustcap they have to hold the valve open, thereby defeating a system expressly engineered to keep the air in, and leaving it instead to the vagaries of some piece of crap which has to form a seal at the top of the thread? Fair comment or am I misguided?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Although a different make to those OP linked to, and how you explained is how they work, I have them on my car and they have never leaked.

Reply to
DubDriver

Seems to me one is swapping the risk of tyres losing pressure which goes unnoticed, in favour of better visibility of loss of pressure but the greater risk of it happening. Don't fancy it myself.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

How long would it be before they were nicked I loose dust covers all the time there only 99p for 4 Alan

Reply to
Alan

I prefer to use the metal dust caps that provide additional sealing. I've given up using them because they keep getting nicked by kids for their bikes!

Of course, living in Bracknell may increase the likelihood of this happening... :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Where do *you* live? I've never had a cap stolen in 34 years of driving, to my knowledge. I sometimes forget to replace them, but thats different.

Mike Barnard

I suppose they cna be useful, depending how they are used. If you check your tyre pressure every week then they might be useful to let you know about a fairly quick loss in pressure before it might be noticible. However, for myself I prefer checking the tyres every week with a gague, and then actually feeling each wheel before I get into the car. I`m crouched by the wheel so can spot any other issues arrising (like uneven wear etc) and pushing into the wheel can give you a fairly good idea if there is a problem with the pressure. Not as accurate as using a gague every journey, but less effort than getting the gague out twice a day :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Go to CV racing and get there digital set, looks standard but you have an LCD with tyre pressures and temps in the car.

Reply to
Depresion

Perhaps he is, you thoughtless pratt

Reply to
DCA

Not really, you're swapping the possibility of the valve failing to seal somehow with the possibility of the pressure-measuring-dustcap failing to seal properly. Assuming they're both manufactured to a similar quality, it shouldn't be any less reliable. Plus you do gain better visibility of any failure...

Reply to
David Taylor

What's the agenda of the people making this statement, then?

I don't see 1psi being a problem in normal use. In fact between the tyres getting slightly warm, and the variations between the machines at different garages, I can easily get a 1-2psi difference in the tyre pressure just by checking it in two different places.

Well, my opinion of that is probably similar to that of the real bible...

Reply to
David Taylor