Grinding noise and severe movement?

Hi,

I've got an L-reg Ford Orion 1.4 Equipe which has developed a horrific grinding noise and is so difficult to control, I've had to take it off the road.

Basically, the noise sounds like two stones grinding together and is coming from the back. I recently came back from a trip to London and the car was lethal to drive. The car seemed to want to chuck itself all over the road and when I stopped, I noticed smoke coming from the driver side rear wheel. I've got it parked up and I can see that the wheel is actually pointing outwards at a strange angle. I had the passenger side rear bearings sorted out back in December and would like to try and see if I can fix it myself if its the bearings on the drivers side.

I just want to be completely sure that this is likely to be the bearings before I strip everything down. I would take it to the garage which did the last bearing replacement, but at £200, they were pricey to say the least. Once I've fixed this bearing, the car's being sold as I've got no need for it. I've already spent enough just keeping the damn thing going recently!

If anyone can confirm my suspicions, it would be much appriecated! If you feel that this problem could be caused by something else, please let me know so I know what to fix!

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

Definitely sounds like the wheel bearing has collapsed!

Make sure you fit and torque the new one up correctly if you do DIY... the one time I changed one on my old Orion, it lasted about 110 miles before destroying itself at 80mph in the fast lane...

...which was nice (!)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH