Grinding noise when turning right...something snapped in the steering

Hi all,

I have an 97 Astra 1.7TDS, just passed the MOT. Shortly after the MOT I noticed an unpleasant grinding noise when turning right above 20mph.

I've jacked it up and compared front left and right suspension. On the right had side there is some wear on the drive shaft. There is a vertical running rod that should be attached to part of what I think is the steering mechanism through some rubber stops. The vetical running arm comes down just below the drive shaft and seems to connect a horizontal arm coming from the cabin direction (MacPherson strut?) to a horizontal arm coming from the direction of the other wheel.

But, the bolt that runs through the rubber stops has snapped and the top of vertical rod rubs on the drive shaft. This only happens when turning at speed I guess because the as the car turns, the right side of the body of the car lifts and the vertical running arm that should be clamped with the bolt through the rubber stops is raised and rubs on the drift shaft.

Sorry for such a dodgy description....can anyone decipher my description and tell me what the vertical the running rod is called? And perhaps how difficult it is to fix and how much it costs?

Cheers,

Mick

Reply to
mick

The part you describe is the anti roll bar link, most good car shops will stock a new one, priced less than a tenner. The only tricky bit to changing them is that both sides need to be jacked up equally and you may need to grind off the unbroken end of the old link. It is not 'very' dangerous to drive like that, but better not to, just in case. It would be safer if you remove the broken bit and drive gently till you can get it replaced.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds like it might be the link that connects the strut to the anti-roll bar. If it is, it's not a particularly expensive part, and fairly easy to replace. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ok, thanks chaps. That gives some idea as to what's gone wrong and what's involved.

Cheers,

Mick.

Reply to
mick