Groaning when pulling away

My focus (1.8 petrol 2004) has started making groaning noise as I pull away from cold. After its hot the noise is gone.

It sounds as though it is coming from the drivers wheel area I could be wrong or it could be vibrating possibly form somewhere else masking its true location.

How do I determine what this sound is or where it is coming from.

Its definitely a groaning noise not a a squeak and only present during pull of when cold till the car gets to tems, it then disappears.

Any ideas what it could be or how I proceed from here.

I'm armed with a basica tool kit and a haynes :)

Reply to
Jeff

Your wife's not in the car, is she?

Reply to
Nige

Power steering pump moaning?

Try from cold going in a straight direction and see if that makes the same noise. I had that on a Laguna (I), and leaks / corosion in the steering system.

Reply to
Adrian C

Suspension, A / R bar bushes ?

David

Reply to
David

Passed away 6 months ago.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Adrian,

Thats an interesting idea, added to list to check, thanks.

If I go in a straight line an it makes the noise or doesn't what would that indicate.

Although not sure if thats is relevant the pump could still be on its way otu possibly.

I had a look through the haynes at the process of removal and it looks simple enough (famous last words) but it does mention a special tool needed, I'm sure I can improvise something like Mgyver.

Reply to
Jeff

Hi David,

Would that only produce the noise when cold.

Definitely worth having a look as that looks relatively cheap and straight forward.

I know sounds like this can't be good and don't want to ignore it before its call the RAC time so I think its best to start poking around tomorrow. Its just difficuling try and pin point such noises/faults thats always the hardest part I guess well not always from past experience.

What we do know is it occurs when cold, and when going forward only and for only 10 mins till the cars up to operating temp. So I guess as Adrian mentioned a possibl cause could be the PAS pump, the ARB. I wonder would a worn bush cause this perhaps causing the wheel at slow speed wobble in to causing disc and pads contact. Giving the wheel a wobble may help figure if the bush is worn, but I think they squeal and are noticeable on turning ?

Reply to
Jeff

Take her out of the boot?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

True story

I picked up a coffin from my mate, who BTW was an undertaker, and the coffins were display units which were NLA so they dispersed of then - solid timber quality stuff.

Anyway placed one in the back of my Toyota Corolla van and had the tailgate open as it was too long,

Someone did see me, but the week prior my mother in law had died, being an inquisitive person asked about the coffin in the back. All I said that I was taking her for a drive.

Reply to
Rob

Try bouncing the car up and down at the front and rear before starting and listen for any groan, or noises. I've known bushes to squeak when old, lubing them with a silicon grease has worked for me. YMMV.

Ah, I didn't notice that.

Then it would also do it in reverse

Have you got wheel wobble too?

regards

David

Reply to
David

Did you run her over?

Reply to
Nige

Apologies for the delayed response I've been down unwell.

I've inspected the arb bushes and they're is no gap around them and they are very tight fitted on just looking at them, no play. Bouncing the car produces no noise at all, bounces straight back up happily.

I haven't checked for wheel wobble. I guess thats a case of jacking it up again and wobbling it at 12-6 or 3-9 positions to see if there is any play... are you thinking wheel bearing ?

Thanks for the help all.

Reply to
Jeff

Turns out it is the PAS pump, the mechanic thinks its because of the cold and the oil is thicker so the pump is working harder or the bearings are becoming worn. But he tried to wobble the pulley and there was no movements so he thinks its best to leave it untill it makes the noise all the time as its no very obvious the sound when warm. I have noticed on warmer days the noise is not there.

He did mention the PAS oil was black/burnt and needed changing it should be a oily red colour for a 04 focus petrol.

Reply to
Jeff

You were bang on the money Adrian. Fortunately no leaks. The mechanic thinks its because of the extreme cold, the fluid is thicker and the pump is working harder to distribute it. I have also now noticed it doesn't happen on warmer mornings.

Reply to
Jeff