Growly gearbox...

...or maybe diff.

Our 1997 1.9 TD Fiat Ducato based motorhome transmission is rather "growly" under load. On overrun or in neutral, all the noise disappears.

I rather suspect this falls under the category of "not a good thing" but the question is, "how bad a thing" is this?

Is it a case of

A) They all do that sir B) it's common in older vans but doesn't mean imminent self immolation. You could try some different oil/oil treatment product. or C) Prepare yourself for a gearbox rebuild.

Which is it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If that's the later gearbox then 5th gear is notorious for failing, a quick google will tell you what's involved.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mrcheerful

Thanks a bunch. ;-)

Any point in mucking about with heavier oil or anything else to tide things over until a rebuild becomes a must?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In the interim, change the oil for the right stuff, and if you want to, then put in some slick50 for gearboxes (that is a product which actually seems to do something) However, once a gearbox/transaxle gets growly it means that things are damaged (probably diff bearings or layshaft bearings in your case, or the fifth gear thing) they will be putting out crap and swarf and that will damage other bits.

Reply to
Mrcheerful