Grundig SC303 intermittent fault

My old Cavalier has a Grundig SC303 that has deveoped an intermittent fault on VHF.

The VHF signal level drops gradually over a period of a few minutes to the point where no stations are received. AM stations and the cassette player all work fine.

It usually happens after I've been driving for about half an hour suggesting a thermal problem or dry joint somewhere in the FM front-end or the IF section.

Every time I take the radio out of the car and power it up on the bench it works perfectly - even if I leave it running for hours on end. I've used half a can of freezer spray and a hair dryer to thermally stress the pcb and the components in an attempt to reproduce the fault but to no avail. I've tried running it for hours with the covers both on and off. I've tried varying the supply voltage.

When I put the radio back in the car it always works perfectly for a while and then the fault returns. Once in fault mode, it often remains in this state until I take it out of the car whereupon it magically fixes itself. I'm pretty sure it's not the aerial since it still works on AM. I've even soldered some co-ax directly onto the pcb where the aerial socket connects and tried plugging in a separate aerial once the fault has manifested itself but it made no difference.

A friend of mine had a Cavalier with the same radio and he tells me his had exactly the same fault. This suggests it might be a common component aging problem. I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms?

I have the schematics and I'm sure I can fix it if only I can get the fault to happen on the bench. I don't really want to buy a new radio since I don't intend keeping the car much longer.My old Cavalier has a Grundig SC303 that has deveoped an intermittent fault on VHF.

The VHF signal level drops gradually over a period of a few minutes to the point where no stations are received. AM stations and the cassette player all work fine.

It usually happens after I've been driving for about half an hour suggesting a thermal problem or dry joint somewhere in the FM front-end or the IF section.

Every time I take the radio out of the car and power it up on the bench it works perfectly - even if I leave it running for hours on end. I've used half a can of freezer spray and a hair dryer to thermally stress the pcb and the components in an attempt to reproduce the fault but to no avail. I've tried running it for hours with the covers both on and off. I've tried varying the supply voltage.

When I put the radio back in the car it always work perfectly for a while and then the fault returns. Once in fault mode, it often remains in this state until I take it out of the car whereupon it magically fixes itself. I'm pretty sure it's not the aerial since it still works on AM. I've even soldered some co-ax directly onto the pcb where the aerial socket connects and tried plugging in a separate aerial once the fault has manifested itself but it made no difference.

A friend of mine had a Cavalier with the same radio and he tells me his had exactly the same fault. This suggests it might be a common component aging problem. I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms?

I have the schematics and I'm sure I can fix it if only I can get the fault to happen on the bench. I don't really want to buy a new radio since I don't intend keeping the car much longer.

Reply to
briank

Usually suggests an electrolytic capacitor is failing. Have you got access to one of those ESR meters that can check caps in circuit? If not - use a Mk 1 eyeball and looks for any sign of a bulging can on the electrolytic capacitors. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam

Remove from dashboard, install safety glasses on top of nose, place SC303 on a concrete block, swing a large 8lb lump of steel attached to 3 foot of the finest hickory one can buy, and make point of impact directly in middle of SC303, step back, admire a job well done, get in car, drive to nearest audio store, buy yourself some nice Kenwood or Alpine ICE, install in Cavalier, tune into Classic FM, chill out, ...... remember that you have a piece of Radio gear for life. PROBLEM SOLVED.

JK

Reply to
JK

Or until it gets nicked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This is indeed a tempting solution. Alternatively, I might try leaving the car overnight in Milton Keynes railway station car park.

Reply to
briank

I also wondered if it could be an electrolytic. They do dry out with age (a bit like some women I've known). There is a possible candidate on the FM AGC control line I'm suspicious of. Now I've proved that it's not the aerial, my next tactic was to change all the electrolytics in the VHF section. If that fails, I may try JK's sledge hammer suggestion.

Reply to
briank

LOL

intermittent

Reply to
JK

It sounds like you have a possible candidate . . . One point to note - - are all the buttons on the front working? The active little rubber contact can be replaced individualy. They are about a £1 each from CPC. As for a sledgehammer I would'nt bother, not worth the effort. I also would go to the expense of putting a nice Kenwood in there, 'cos it'll only get nicked and the theifing scum will do more damage to your car than the radio (or car!) is worth. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam

Today I replaced the electrolytics in the FM section. Only time will tell if it's a cure.

Something strange has happened though... I don't know what I did, but the radio no longer enters 'safe' mode on disconnecting the main supply. Now I don't have to enter the security code after reconnecting the power. This doesn't really bother me much

- no one in their right mind would bother nicking this old piece of junk. Just curious to know what I did to make it happen.

After reading some other postings on this newsgroup, I've also managed to get the LCD display to work properly. Now I can actually read the station names, RDS and TP status.

Reply to
briank

Well, replacing the electrolytics had no effect whatsoever. Time to try Plan C:- Cook the ceramic chip caps with a soldering iron above the curie temp (around 120-150 degC) to try and reverse the ageing process. We'll see what happens. Still no longer have to enter the security code after disconnecting the supply - very odd! - any explanations?

Reply to
briank

As per previous answer...... "Hickory handle and 8 lbs of steel"...Remember...LOL

Reply to
JK