Guide of repair cost?

Hi,

I recently ran over a huge rock buried in a verge when trying to avoid a ph easant. (Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere.) Split the bumper, plastic grill and smashed the undertray so much that a bit was left dragging behin d... which I've now removed with difficulty since it was left hanging by a bolt in the middle of the underside of the car. You may have guessed that I'm not technically equipped!

The car's a Peugeot 308 July 2010 HDi 1.6 5dr.

How much will replacements cost? I'm wondering because it may be worth usi ng my protected no-claims insurance to cover it if it's too much.

The car's running fine so I don't think any damage to the engine/radiator, etc has occurred.

Wish I'd just run over the damn pheasant now.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
johns99916

there is probably more damage than you know. best to get an estimate, likely 500 quid at least.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mate "collected" a pheasant with a Volvo 244. It's head went though the rad and got chopped off by the steel bladed fan.

As it could do both air-con condenser and the rad, it could be very expensive to run the bird over.

But the idiot French do insist on putting vital bits low down and in front of the wheels. Many have air filter on nearside behind headlamp but the intake is so low it can hoover up puddles - never enter standing water with a modern PSA car with an intake like this. Offside has bits of air-con tube from the condenser and that gets damaged dropping off kerbs, it doesn't take much movement to open the "O" ring joints and vent the refrigerant. The evidence that gas has vented like this, is the air-con oil that coats all the plastic bits.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I would advise getting the car checked properly. There can be hidden damage that will cause failures at a later date. My son hit a log that "found" it's way into the road in front of his car (a Focus ST). Obvious damage was bumper, sump guard, sump, aux drive belt. Initial estimate was around £600 - - but the final bill came to £2500 because other hidden bits were damaged - the aircon pump and specificaly the airbag ECU would not reset, even tho' the air bags did not go off. That was a £1000 + main dealer time at £100/hr ouch-ouch-ouch.

Reply to
snot

Jeezz!, Pulled over to have a piddle out in the sticks a few years ago and driving off discovered a drainage dugout c/w a bloody great lump of rock positioned so that it walloped the bottom front of the Audisaurus all neatly hidden by some long grass;(

Water pissed out of the side of rad which is plastic, but fortunately that was all it hit apart from a few light scratches. Breakdown tow home and a rad from Europarts all in 80 odd quid I reckon;!.

Got away lightly with that so it seems!.

Reply to
tony sayer

I know realise how lucky were when we hit a ladder that fell of a builders or more likely travellers flat bed transit in front of us in the Mini just before Christmas. Think it got blown off by the gale at the time and of course it was one ot those days when about an inch of rain fell within hours. Stopped just long enough to throw ladder clear off the road ,it was dark and visibility was terrible so didn't want risk stopping long . Decided to make a pit stop at the dealer about 7 miles away with about 45 mins before they closed for Christmas. No really nasty noises and tyres stayed inflated, an intemittend sound like gravel hitting occasionaly which is what it tuned out to be, the undertray had broken and the tray occasionaly acted like a scoop on standing water got forced down and picked up loose chippings. People moan sometimes with justification about dealers but the Dealer in Salisbury was great, About to close but stuck the car up on a ramp and gave it a good look over and removed the damaged undertray. Booked a slot to replace just after boxing day, They only charged for that , not the emergency inspection.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg