Halfords = a bloody rip-off

My dad went to get a headlight bulb for his van today in Halfords. It was £12, but the queue was so long he put it back on the shelf and went to a motor factors instead, and got one for £2!

Reply to
neutron

Quite. Airfilter for my car cost £19.95 at Halfords. I thought hmm and ordered the same from the internet for £10. Even with P&P it was worth while, then I also included a couple of other items.

However, I bought Halfords 5L fully synt £14.95 half price. They usually have this offer at this time of year, so I just went there to get my fill.

Reply to
Johannes

Yeah, set of spark plugs for my escort from halfrauds £16.99 IIRC, £6 odd for exactly the same ones from the motor factors, without the retail packaging.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Set of spark plugs from Halfords for my S40 were 18.99. Set from motor factor £8. Set from Volvo £129

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Did the Volvo ones include fittin and a tank full of petrol?

Reply to
Gøñzølã

"Tim S Kemp" wrote

My boss went to Volvo to buy an oil filter for his Mum's car. Then he went to Volvo Truck to buy an oil filter for one of our trucks. The one for the car was twice as much. When we looked at them, they were both the same part, and had identical part numbers.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Fitting was 1/2 hr billed at 75 plus vat...

... needless to say I got them changed elsewhere...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, but at Halfords you are paying for their knowledgable staff and friendly prompt service. Oh, wait...

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I thought you were paying extra for the rude staff.

Reply to
a.n.other

And this is news how?

FWIW - El wire - 12v - £26-29 in Halfords.

Or, £5.99 in IKEA complete with a 12V PSU you can save for, well, things that might need a 12V PSU (and before the sale it was £12).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I don't understand why people get so wound up about this. Halfords is well known for being expensive but they are conveniently situated and open at a lot of times that a conventional motorparts shop isn't.

Don't like the prices? Shop somewhere else.

Reply to
deadmail

The message from RichardK contains these words:

They were down to £3.99 the other day.

Reply to
Guy King

That is also what I do, in particular using the internet. But Halfords has seasonal sales which you might look out for.

It is quite amusing to watch the cars which visits our local Halffords. More than usual of the cars in the car park have extra fittings, like rubber band tyres, front snow scrapers and heavy bass drums.

Reply to
Johannes

Not in ours, unless you mean the battery-powered ones (which I'm guessing not since they were something like that before the sale).

Discounts are probably set by the store.

(Ever considered the bargain section curiously misnamed? 1/3rd off for a unit with smashed shelves, or missing glass, seems common...)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

What's the product? El wire? Sorry, must be having a slow day...

The 12 volt psu bit got my attention - what sort of power rating?

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

3W.
Reply to
Guy King

OK. Not nearly enough though, but thanks for checking.

Reply to
conkersack

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

What were you expecting for a bit of electroluminscent string!

Reply to
Guy King

Oh right! I didn't realise that is what is was from!

Reply to
conkersack

What size do you want? dichroic lighting transformers are now very cheap.

Duncanwood