Halfords Oil Filter

Never used their own brand before. Just like to get a few opinions before I stick it on my old Sierra (1.8cvh). If folk have had bad experiences I will go and get a different one. BTW, Catford Halford's tried to charge me £22 for a £3.99 oil filter and a £9.29 air filter. Then some lame excuse about it scanned twice. Watch 'em if you go there.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

=A33.99 isn't far off a pukka Motorcraft one from a Ford dealers.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

it would be alright, but when a ford genuine one is so cheap why bother with halfrauds or any where other than a ford main dealer?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You;ll find they're cheaper at the Ford Dealer.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Logistics of life. Nearest ford dealer is 20 miles away and I just happened to be passing a Halfords and took the opportunity to grab a filter for my next oil change sometime in the late Spring. Hell, why am I defending this. Anyone would some imagination for anything else than their own situation should realise its not always as straight forward as it appears to get the things you need and your life/town/amenities does not apply to all. I was just curious if anyone had an experience of using Halfords filters and was mildly curious for replies. Seems so far no one has any actual experience of using them.

Going back to bed. Graham

Reply to
Graham

Graham ("Graham" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Be fair, Graham. It's not as if it's _blindingly_ obvious that a main stealer would be cheaper than a high-street "pile-em-high" retailer such as Halfraud's reputation bizarrely is.

Personally, in the situation you describe - especially with no particular rush - I'd go to a small local factor, but then that's just me...

Reply to
Adrian

Any help for the future?

(Usual disclaimer.)

Sleep well :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

When searching for oil filters on there, I see 3:

Transit Oil Filter Ford Motor Company £7.78 Escort CVH Oil Filter Ford Motor Company £4.17 Escort 1.8D Oil filter Ford Motor Company £4.64

All prices are + VAT and + £2 delivery (for an oil filter).

Not exactly a wide range... you can fill in a form if they don't list the part, but that's a bit of a hassle to do when you just want a quick view of the price of an oil filter.

David Hearn

Maybe. I just thought it might save the OP a 40-mile round trip at some point in time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

TBH it's likely to not be as good as a Ford oil filter. It seems that very few aftermarket brand filters are as good as manufacturers ones when you see them cut open. OTOH is it really going to make a huge difference having a slightly crap oil filter on the car for 5000 miles or so until the next oil change?

Reply to
Doki

Having used a variety of oil filters over the years, mainly from places like Halfords or local spares places as well as pukka Peugeot ones I can honestly say I've never noticed any difference. Having said that I am religious about oil changes so it's unlikely to be noticeable in the 6 months or less [1] that the filter's on the car.

[1] at one stage it was down to every three months on the Xantia diesel due to the mileage I was covering.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I've used them a few times before in my old escort (before I realised motorcraft were cheaper). The car did over 170K & still ran fine when I got rid of it, so I don't think they did any harm.

Reply to
dean clayton

I said: it will be alright

I have used halfords own brand filters, I have never heard of a failure.

If halfords are your only practical choice then use them, millions of people do every day, it is the servicing side that you should stay well away from.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Personally I'd use the Ford one, but if there's no Ford dealer in Catford (there is an All Fords Parts Centre in Catford but I don't know if they do genuine Ford bits) I'd have no worries putting a Halfords one on. Try your local motor factors and see if they do OE spec filters.

Then again, it's a 1.8 CVH, so as long as the oil is clean and there's a filter there I doubt it'll matter. Built to be maintained badly, those things.

Reply to
Pete M

Nothing wrong with the Halfords filters, I used one on the 1.8cvh sierra each year. I would prefer a "proper" one from the local Ford garage as they are around the same cost. Most things are better value from a main dealer anyway, going elsewhere is false economy. You only really get what you pay for. You could check what was scanned by looking at the receipt printed. It probably was a genuine mistake - why would they just pick you to do that to?

Reply to
GT

You asked whether there was anything wrong with the filter sold at Halfords, not whether you would spend more money going to a retailer 20 miles away. You need to ask the question you want the answer to! It does help! There is nothing wrong with the Halfords oil or air filters, I have used both many years ago in a 1.8cvh. They were only very slightly different to the ones sold by the Ford garage. That was to do with patents. I bet you're going to tell us all about the website that compares all the different types of filters next.

Reply to
GT

Well £3.99 + £9.29 + £9.29 = £22.57, so it does look rather like the air filter got scanned twice by mistake.

Reply to
David Taylor

But the CVH has an odd sound, a bit like a lawnmower engine.

Reply to
johannes

I didn't say they're any good, and they definately don't sound good.

That reminds me, I'll have to record the Range Rover one day.

Reply to
Pete M

The CVH tries to do a hemi head from a single cam. Hence the valve stems goes in at twisted angles. This probably accounts for the odd lawnmower sound.

Reply to
johannes