Handbrake problem. Mk2 Mondeo.

Hi all.

Considering how simple rear drum brakes are this should be an easy question. Today, I changed the rear shoes on my '97 2.0 ghia manual Mk2 Mondeo. The change was easy, the drums hadn't grooved and they came off easily. The cylinders were OK and I was suprised to see the existing shoes still servicable. But I changed them anyway.

It all went back together smoothly. A bit of jiggling to align the drums of course, but an easy job.

The pedal travel pumped back to normal quickly after each side was done, but the handbrake now travels all the way up. This is wrong, but why?

I know the adjusters may need to set themselves but that shouldn't take long, should it? I've tried 'pumping' the handbrake to get the adjusters to take up the slack but it hasn't changed anything yet.

I know the cables are attached properly. I know the adjusters were wound right back. The adjusters were not siezed.

What do I do... wait and hope, adjust the handbrake cable manually or get back into the drums and ensure there is a LITTLE lube on the adjusters? Something else?

Reply to
Mike Barnard

I always found with Golf I/II/Scirocco drums, a good yank on the handbrake and stomp on the pedal (together) did the trick.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

slacken the handbrake cable first. you should wind up the adjusters in the drums until the drum will just still go on and turn fairly freely. then pump the pedal a few times and take it for a few miles drive, then see how much handbrake travel there is and adjust the cable as needed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think you're supposed to pump the footbrake.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The handbrake cable has manual adjustment.

Reply to
Conor