Handheld diagnostic scanner for a focus

I have a been thinking about getting a handheld scanner, as I paid £45 last month to have a diagnostic scan which showed a failed coil pack. A simple 5 minute job and a cheap-ish part. If I had a scanner I could have read the code, fixed it replaced it for just the cost of the part. The garage "needed" my car all day as they didn't know when the mechanic could get to it as he was "overworked".

The above site is interesting but you can only see fault codes, not clear ?

I'm after a scanner (not a fault code reader) that will let you get in to all the modules, freeze live data, clear faults, read them etc. Something pretty handy for the Saturday morning tinkerer :)

I'm having trouble finding one as the diagnostic port on the focus is a bit difficult to deal with. I found lots of 16 pin scanners like the aucutel maxiscan m509 but it says 16 pin connector and I think its different on the focus.

Any advice what kind of scanner for my needs I could get ?

Thanks apologies for the semi-long winded post. I have a focus 1.6 ghia 2004 model, but I guess the diagnostic ports is the same on all of them but best to say.

Reply to
Pete

Launch X431 works very well.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

:-)

So it should...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Launch X431 works very well.

I bet it does at that price! if I ever paid that I would expect a cuppa cha from one of the menus!

Reply to
Pete

Launch X431 works very well.

I bet it does at that price! if I ever paid that I would expect a cuppa cha from one of the menus!

Reply to
Pete

Launch X431 works very well.

Anything sub £150 cheaper the better

Reply to
Pete

Launch X431 works very well.

:p found one Autel US703 does all I need a little more than I wanted to spend but it will pay for itself easily like the scanners I've used in the past.

About £180 for any one who is interested in getting one. I have VCDS for our VW Lupo who has been a joy to use and saved me a fortune the amount of engine/abs faults I've had in recent times.

Reply to
Pete

looks good, let us know how well it works please. 170 from diagnostics4u with free shipping (appears to inc. vat)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

looks good, let us know how well it works please. 170 from diagnostics4u with free shipping (appears to inc. vat)

Will do MrCheerful. Looks very pact with features for me.

Reply to
Pete

Just been reading the reviews on Amazon. 50 / 50 with those who liked it and those who don't. Lots saying the after sales is dire.

Reply to
Mike Barnard