Hazard light switch

I've just replaced a Ford indicator unit which includes the hazard light switch. The old unit had an illuminated switch which flashed in unison with the indicators.

The new one is fully functional but the hazard light switch is not illuminated, so the only indication the hazards are working is the single indicator bulb on the instrument cluster and the audible relay.

Is this kosher? Is there any requirement that the switch must be illuminated as an additional signal to show the flashers are working?

Reply to
Fred

No.

Reply to
gazzafield

Many thanks for your prompt response. I'd bought it from Ebay and whilst it's new wasn't sure if it was a grey import which didn't conform to EU rules.

Reply to
Fred

sorry but it would fail an mot.

  1. method of inspection : check that the hazard warning device operates with the ignition switched both on & off.While it operates, check that all the direction indicators flash simultaneously & the " tell-tale" is working correctly.
  2. reason for rejection: A hazard warning device.

a. does not cause all the direction indicators to flash in phase. b. "tell-tale" not working.

Reply to
reg

The tell tale is working on the dash. My Micra had a simple rocker switch for the hazards which did not illuminate. It passed it's MOT's.

Reply to
gazzafield

you prolly know but the tell tale on a ford is the red switch sticking up from the stalk which flashes red when the hazards are on, just the green indicator light/s flashing isnt enough on its own for the hazards.

Reply to
reg

I have had cars fail the MOT where the hazard warning tell tale has failed, you need to be able to tell whether you have hazards on or just an indicator.

Have you checked that there is a bulb under the operating switch? It is usually a tiny capless bulb, it may have fallen out in transit.

I am sure that many people have cars that have passed a test without a tell tale, but they shouldn't, it makes you wonder what else the tester has missed, doesn't it?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Er, surely the fact that both indicators are on at the same time is a bit of a giveaway?

Reply to
David Taylor

I'm rather frustrated here. The operating switch is made from standard plastic rather than the coloured-translucent type. So no, there was never the intention of it being illuminated. I feel stuffed as I've already fitted it and sent positive feedback to the seller.

Reply to
Fred

Not where there's only a single dashboard light.

Reply to
Fred

On:

it says:The hazard warning lamp 'tell tale' may be a separate light or the same as the indicator 'tell-tale. However, it must be a flashing light. Is the same as the actual testers manual? Unfortunately like so many other government departments you seem to have to pay extortionate amounts for the real thing and isn't officially online.

Another link says

A tell-tale warning must be fitted and this can be an audible or visual device. If one or more direction indicators on each side can be seen from the drivers seat, a tell-tale is not needed.

So I seem to be in the clear - pheww.

Reply to
Fred

Fred ( snipped-for-privacy@n0spam.cm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's for the indicators themselves, not the hazards.

From that same Bob McKay page :- "Hazard warning lamps must be fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986. All hazard lamps fitted are testable, must have a tell-tale device and must operate with the ignition on and off."

AIUI you don't *need* a tell-tale for the normal indicators, as long as you can hear the relay - but you DO for hazards. I have to admit, I'm surprised it's as late as '86 - I thought it was earlier - '76 wouldn't have surprised me.

That's certainly how they're fitted to 2cvs, which do tend to go along with "If it isn't a legal necessity, it ain't fitted"

Reply to
Adrian