Head gasket replacement on Citroen AX

I recently bought a citroen AX L reg. Only done 75,000 miles.

1000cc. It had a head gasket problem so got it for next to nothing. It had all the signs of head gasket. White gunk around the oil filler cap etc.

I replaced the head gasket and cleaned and checked the head for flatness with a proper straight edge and was satisfied that the head was flat.

However after replacement the engine is still having problems with over heating. I notice a small dribble of water from the filler cap and then it erupts to a flow as the engine warms. Water is moving into the radiator and the cooling fan switches on. I have replaced the thermostat with a spare but just the same.

How can I still have a problem with the engine if the gasket is now replaced any suggestions?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Kind regards

Nicola Denley

snipped-for-privacy@nicoladenley.co.uk

NappyNikki

9 Brailswood Road Poole Dorset BH15 2JW

Could be a porous head, or a crack in the head.

These engines are known for head gasket problems, especially the 1.4 Diesel. Is the water pump ok?

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net contains these words:

Cracked head, warped head. Did you find out why the head gasket had failed?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Nik&Andy" contains these words:

Did you really mean to publicly disclose your address, phone number, email address etc?

Reply to
Guy King

No, My flippin wife has altered my sig without telling me!!!

Wadya do?

Just await the spam i guess!

Andy

Reply to
akd

Doh... tell her she`ll have to buy you Mailwasher as a punishment :-p

If you want some "spam" to convince her, i`m sure we can all "donate" some !

Failing that, it has to be worth a bl*w job :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I didn't use any gasket paste when doing it. I think I'll try taking the head off and giving it a good squirt of gasket paste all over the head and block and reassembled. If that don't fix it for a while it's off to the scrap yard with it.

Mind you I have a cylinder head from a citroen 1100 F reg. I think that would fit so I might swap it and see.

snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Reply to
david.cawkwell

You did have the head skimmed didnt you, and used new bolts ? steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Tried a new filler cap?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

That's what I was gonna say. Asking for trouble if you don't get the head skimmed and pressure tested.

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul