Headlamp washers

Do headlamp washers usually have their own pump or do they run off the washer pump? I presume they normally run whenever the the windscreen washers do?

Reply to
Doki

Doki ("Doki" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Own pump, sometimes a separate tank.

Usually yes, but only if the lights are on.

Reply to
Adrian

All the ones I've seen have a separate pump. And only operate when the lights are on - and often only a percentage of times the windscreen ones are used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do they still come fitted with wipers or are the modern ones enough to blast the things clean? I'm thinking of a set for my Golf as the headlamps are pretty much vertical and get dirty quickly. I suppose a set off an old round lamp 3 or 5 series would work.

Reply to
Doki

Doki ("Doki" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

My ol' XM had high pressure washers - quite effective.

Most new stuff seems to be washers - presumably because of the aerodynamic issues with wipers.

Don't Disco3s have wipers?

Anything with HIDs must have either washers or wipers.

Reply to
Adrian

I think high pressure washers and the associated pump will be the easiest way. Do the XM ones pop up or just bosh through the bumper?

Reply to
Doki

Doki ("Doki" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Like most, they sit slightly proud of the bumper, and rise up under water pressure.

Reply to
Adrian

Depends on the car entirely.

Some have a 2nd pump, sometimes wired through the headlight feed, some run the main pump backwards, some have one pump and a change over valve!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..