Headliner falling off

On my '88 Audi 100 avant headliner (just the cloth part) is starting to peel off near the fifth door. I can just press it back by hand, and it seems to stick for a while, and than it starts to separate again.

Can I glue it back, or what can I do?

Reply to
Yvan

You can use a pressure pack of adhesive - light spray and stick it back.

Reply to
Rob

Yvan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Bodge - drawing pins. Proper fix - remove the whole headliner, strip the old material off, clean the backing board, and glue new material on.

The problem isn't that the glue's giving up, it's that the foam backing on the material is disintegrating - the glue's still holding, it's just that there's nothing bar a thin layer of dust attached to it. It's common across a lot of cars of that era as they age.

Reply to
Adrian

It is indeed. I replaced the one on my SD1 - Woolies stock a fabric that is close enough. Costs about 50 quid including glue. The most difficult part is removing the headlining former.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That wasn't a problem with the 900.

What WAS a problem was getting round to doing anything much with the former once it was propped in the hallway - over the course of a year, I fixed most of the delaminating edges of the compressed fibreboard, then started gluing it to retrim. Only for 'erself to demand more ventilation, and stand slap bang in the middle of it and break it in half as she went to open more windows...

Reply to
Adrian

Nedavno Adrian napisa:

How hard is it to remove the whole headliner? How is it attached to the top of the car?

Reply to
Yvan

Yvan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

For my 900, there's a damn good step-by-step photo-guide here :-

Can't imagine yours'll be very different in terms of logic.

Reply to
Adrian

Nedavno Adrian napisa:

Thank you.

Reply to
Yvan

There used to be a complete guide on the audiworld.com site, and the audifans forum may well have a guide.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

Yes, I found this guide for A6: