Heater Not Working ==> Head Gasket about to Blow?

Hi all.

As per the subject, how accurate is the statement:

"if the heater can't blow hot, then it's likely there is a head gasket problem?

Thanks for any comments.

Vino

Reply to
Vino Tinto

It is a possibility but not definite.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Load of crap. It's your heater matrix blocked up with sludge. It usually happens over time and especially when no antifreeze/rust inhibitor is used. Small bits flake off and jam the matrix. When people use radweld it glues it together. The heater matrix is not connected via a thermostat on the engine or anything to do with the head gasket.

Reply to
Frank

What a load of rubbish! It is NOT a possibility, I am amazed at the amount of people here that know hardly anything about cars. The group is full of misinformed DIYers by the look of it.

Go on, tell us all why you think a heater matrix being blocked preventing hot water circulating around it has anything to do with a failing head gasket. This should be a laugh!

Reply to
Frank

The message from "Frank" contains these words:

Though....if you're losing water, on some cars the first thing to drop out is the interior heater.

Are you losing water? If not, then Frank's right, it's just sludged up. Take the hoses off and give it a good flush through backwards and forwards with the garden hose.

Reply to
Guy King

Why don't you explain why 'a heater matrix being blocked' is the only explanation for a heater not blowing hot? Since you're so much smarter than Mrcheerful and a lot of other helpful and informed posters here, perhaps you could tell us all of all the symptoms of head gasket failure, including all the different places a head gasket could fail, and why it's impossible that any of these would give that symptom?

Reply to
Tim Vincent

More likely there's a problem with the valve (or its controller) which allows water to pass through the heater matrix. Or the heater matrix itself. Or perhaps there's no water in the engine and the head gasket has already gone and let it all out.

But no, it's not exactly a reliable indicator of impending head gasket problems. Although if you're running with no water in the engine, I expect the head could warp and cause all sorts of problems...

Reply to
David Taylor

Oh do f*ck off Frank, search for Mr Cheerful's previous posts...

Reply to
Tony Bond

In news:46b508fc$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Frank wittered on forthwith;

So you're saying it's impossible?

I'd like to hear why it's impossible.

If a head gasket fails and allows oil into the water jacket the resulting emulsified coolant could easily block a heater matrix. Especially in a car used mainly for short journeys.

No doubt you will now tell me this is wrong, but you won't be able to explain why.

Reply to
Pete M
[...]

So why don't you go away, then there will be one less.

Actually, you're quite funny. Mr Cheerful, a misinformed DIYer - LOL!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Firstly; The OP did NOT ask for reasons for heater failure.

The OP asked two questions: In his subject line he asked if 'no heater output is a sign of impending failure', in the body text he asked if 'no heater output is a sign that the head gasket has gone'

I correctly answered the question in the body; head gasket failure can cause heater failure.

In the last thirty plus years of repairing other peoples cars I have come across the symptoms of 'no heater', yes it can be caused by anything, from being disconnected onwards. BUT that was not the question. The question was: 'can heater failure indicate head gasket failure' the answer is yes, but it is not definite, ie there are other possibilities.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It actually only indicates one of four things.

1) Blocked matrix. 2) Duff heater controls. 3) Lack of coolant. 4) Duff thermostat.
Reply to
Conor

Four things should really be -

1) Duff heater controls 2) Lack of Coolant flow (water pump, blockage, matrix disconnected) 3) Lack of Coolant 4) Coolant not getting hot enough (thermostat stuck open)
Reply to
moray

5) Engine not running :)
Reply to
Sandy Nuts

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f939jv$c0e$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

I've had that one. What a mess! And no heater. That was from doing a decoke and using a cheap composite head gasket that only lasted 6 months, I had to do it all again and pay out for an OEM metal gasket to fix it.

Reply to
Steve B

But I've driven a car which suddenly lost heater heat. A top up of coolant and it was ok. As it was a loan car from a garage I wasn't too concerned as to why. So stating it's only heater matrix being blocked is also bollocks.

Reply to
Malc

You see, there I go again, assuming people have common sense....

:)

Reply to
Conor