help car scratch repair quote

Hello, Could someone please help me to evaluate quotes I had for a car scratch repair? I recently scratch a parked car in the street and left my name. The owner got back to me and said she went to 2 or 3 garages to have a quotes for the repair. It's a Golf and there are scratches on the reardoor and wing. The cheapest quote was £280. I don't have any experience repairing scratches and I would like to know if you consider that a fair price or if I should search for a cheaper place (the owner actually proposed I could do that if I want). To help you judge, I've put here 3 photos of the damaged area. If you know of a cheap and good place to fix that in Edinburgh, please let me know.

I would be very grateful for any comments

Thanks

Philippe, Edinbugh

Reply to
gogo

If it was me I would just t-cut them out, it's not exactly worth re-spraying after all, but most places I know off charge about £100 per panel, so it probably is a bit steep.

Reply to
David Griffin

Try chipsaway at

They repaired ascratch on the wing of my car last year when one of my nextdoor neighbourskids scratched it with a bike. Cost £60 and they paid. Wasn't as bad as yourpics, but wouldn't cost more than £100. Probably the garages have inflatedtheir prices due to OP not paying for work. S

Reply to
simonbray

ISTM that people are missing the point, it doesn't matter what the cost is or where the work is done, if the owner of the affected vehicle wants to have the panels repaired the OP is going to have to go with it. If you think the owner is trying to rip you off put it through your insurance and let them do the wrangling. You have obviously accepted responsibility, like it or not the owner has you by the short and curies !....

Reply to
Jerry.

t cut? they look like the majority will be able to be buffed out it only looks like it needs paint on that rear arch thing it could have been worse, you could have just driven away :)

Reply to
nooneyouveeverheardof

Read the original post again - "...if I should search for a cheaper place (the owner actually proposed I could do that if I want)." Looks like the owner is being more reasonable/flexible than you would normally expect.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Guy at work had them and was very, very pleased with the work.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

If it was me I'd probably want to get the panels resprayed. I would imagine that the whole door would need doing and the off-side wing and maybe blend it into the bonnet. £280 doesn't sound too bad.

A similar thing's happened to my car. A sign fell on it which put loads of scratches on the tailgate and a small dent, and a scuff mark on the near-side back wing. It's going to cost around £400 I think to respray the whole tail gate, the whole back wing and blend it into the drivers door. Some places were cheaper although I wouldn't even want to park my car in those places! Some were over £500.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks to all the comments,

I think I'll try to see if this Chipsaway company is doing business around here and if not, well, I'll prepare my cheque book!

Philippe

Reply to
gogo

IMO the wheel arch / surrounding panel wants doing, the door just needs some rubbing compound.

I'd try and get as much as possible polished out. You're better off keeping as much original paint on the car as is practical IMO. When you come to sell it, people will always think the worst and think it's been in a smash.

Reply to
Doki

Oh, good point. I'm getting the money off the owner of the sign though. When I come to sell it I don't think it'll make a huge difference anyway. It'll look good after being resprayed and the dent/scuff won't polish out. The scuff is the worst part because the gloss has completely gone.

Reply to
Peter