help ford escort clutch/gear problem??

Hi is there any ford people out there who could advise me. I have just bought a 1994 M escort, nice car however i feel the biting point for the clutch is really low ,you can change gear with out having your foot on the clutch down fully, also the gears are really quite stiff to put into gear, you need to give it a really good shove. and i also notice that when i use the handbrake whilst sitting at traffic lights for example, and you are just about to set off again the car will move while the handbrake is still on... Any advice to someone who knows nowt about cars...

cheers

Reply to
Dougie

Low or high? Sounds like you mean a high biting point. You rarely need to put your foot all the way to the floor. It's OK so long as the clutch isn't slipping or jerking away from a standing start. Funny biting points can be caused by the automatic adjuster, which can be a bit fragile (don't panic if you hear a noise like a spring snapping when you use the clutch - it's just the adjuster, errr, adjusting!).

Is this worse when the engine is cold? They're all a bit like that, especially when they start getting old. My L reg Escort has a habit of getting stuck in fifth and not wanting to go into first, although it hasn't done either for a while! It might be worth checking that there is sufficient oil in the transmission.

Cheers,

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News