help ford escort starting problems

hi,

I wonder if anyone can help, I have a 1993, L reg ford escort 1.4 single point injection escort. The problem is that I have starting problems, the car does start most of the time but sometimes it just turns over and wont fire, sometimes it does this from cold but also if I have took it for a run, the problem is intermittant, I havent got the money for expensive diagnostics so was wondering if anyone could help.

thanks in advance

Reply to
stephen morgan

Crank angle sensor, or more likely a dodgy connection at it. There is a TSB for this with a new improved CAS and replacement gold plated connector; you cut the old one off, and solder / heatshrink on the new one.

20:1 this is your problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Had an escort that did similar.

Turned out to be an intemittent connection to the injector (Or one of the engine sensors, can't remember which)

Most of the connectors have rubber seals to prevent water getting in. The rubber seals perish over time, water gets in and the connector corrodes causing intermittent contact.

The way I solved it was to unplug all the connectors under the bonnet one at a time, spray with contact cleaner spray (From maplin) and see if the car started.

Once I tracked down the offending connector I cleaned it more thoroughly and sealed it with insulation tape.

If that doesn't do the trick you could try

It costs a couple of quid to sign up but their advice is invaluable!

Good luck!

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

ho do I locate the sensor and do I need to take it to a garage to have the work done

Reply to
stephen morgan

Someone else has mentioned it could be one of the engine sensors, ie the cam locater sensor, how do I locate this

Reply to
stephen morgan

Its just above the starter motor, a small two wire component, held in with a torx bolt.

You probably need a garage to do it, if you dont know what a soldering iron is!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

thanks for your help

:-) will give it a go

Reply to
stephen morgan

Do I need any special instructions to replace this part, ie do I have to mark anything or can I just go ahead and replace it, does it need to be in a special position ?.

thanks for your help

Reply to
stephen morgan

Firstly can you stop top posting?

When you remove the old CAS, clean the bore with some emery paper so the new one slides right in without having to be pulled in by the fixing.

Otherwise no.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)